The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Woolecox

Tactical/Hunting Bullet

Does anyone know what BULLET the military and law enforcement use in their tactical loads (I know they don't load. Their rounds are factory)?

There is scads of information on loading all kinds of match bullets for accuracy, i.e., Sierra Match King, Scenar, Berger, etc. These bullets produce amazing accuracy out to 1000 yds. in the .308 Win. and the 300 Mags. in custom made rifles.

But, what is on the business end when a Marine sniper puts the cross hairs on a terrorist at 400 yds? What about the FBI, Police, etc.?

I ask because I have just taken delivery of a custom M40-A5 in .308 cal. Other than local F-class competition, I would like to load some ammo for varmint hunting and whitetail. The problem is, I can't get any of the typical "hunting" bullets to group anywhere near what the match bullets will do.

So far, I have used Swift, Nosler, and Sierra GK's. As far as I know, a match bullet is a no-no for game or tactical usage.

Thanks for looking.
Old October 29, 2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Trapper L

Our street police use whatever is the cheapest on bid. The SWAT uses reloads stuffed with Nosler partitions. They shoot the 223 and 308s. What twist is the barrel on your M40? I'm thinking it is 1:10 but I don't remember. If so, try the 125 gr Speer TNT for a varmint load. I load 47.0 grs IMR 4064 under this bullet and they have always grouped good out of every 308 but if your twist is different, they may not work.
Quote:
But, what is on the business end when a Marine sniper puts the cross hairs on a terrorist at 400 yds?
Lake City has been loading the Sierra 150 Gamekings for the military. Might give them a try but they are loaded for the common M14 so they may not work, again, depending on the twist rate.
Old October 30, 2007, 02:25 PM   #3
L Puckett

Woolecox,

There are 2 - .308 "standard" open air rounds, one for Military snipers and one for LE snipers. Range (distance to target) being the cause for 2 standards.

Military: M118LR, which uses the Sierra 175 grn. SMK bullet.

LE: FGM308M which is the Sierra 168 grn SMK.

There are departures from these standards, but they are still considered "the standard".

Barrier rounds are still somewhat up in the air (no standard, as yet) for LE use.

If your rifle is built "to spec" as a copy of the M40A3, the barrel should be a 1:12 twist. Both the 168 SMK and the 175 SMK should perform extremely well for you.

Congratulations on the rifle. I agree in not using these rounds on game animals. Your choices of game bullet should run from the 150-165 grn for the best results in that barrel.

Hope this helps,
LP
Old October 30, 2007, 11:08 PM   #4
Woolecox

LP,

Thanks for the advice. This is what I have suspected. The rifle loves those SMK's in both 168 and 175 grns. The company says that rifle is tailored for Federal Gold Match ammo and honestly it is very hard to improve on it with hand loads.

Wooly
Old November 3, 2007, 06:39 AM   #5
raktrak

Bullets and such

You might like the BERGER VLD's they are match all the way and do a great job on deer. I have some groups under 1/2" at 300 yards out of my benchrest rifle with the 30 cal 190 gr. One group is a 3 shots at .189"
Old November 6, 2007, 11:28 PM   #6
shooter_john

We use Federal Gold Match (168gr SMK's) out of Remingtons at my LEA. Might also try Hornady TAP AMAX... My personal rifle prefers the AMAX to the SMK's.