The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 2, 2018, 04:40 PM   #1
spacemanspiff

Insurance marketed by NRA for Carry Guard

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...regulators-say

There are a few things at issue here. For starters, the insurance that Lockton Cos was offering is what is referred to in the insurance industry as 'surplus lines' or 'non-admitted'. And in order to place such insurance, one of two conditions must be met: 1. The type of coverage is identified by the states Division of Insurance as being unavailable by admittied insurance carriers; or 2. Three different admitted insurance carriers must have declined to write that particular account. This Carry Guard insurance was not on that placement list, so Lockton should have been pursuing three declinations for each policy.

Second, Does this mean though that the Carry Guard insurance is unlawful? By my interpretation of the news articles i've been reading today, No, it is indeed lawful to purchase such insurance. But since each state defines the lawful use of deadly force in self defense differently, some states apparently define self defense as an 'intentional criminal act'. Which insurance policies are never intended to cover. In most cases, these types of insurance programs would have had to get authorization from each states Division of Insurance before they could market it to all 50 states. Its possible that NY DOI already approved this coverage in the past.

Third, the marketing of this insurance is at question, did the NRA need an insurance license to sell another companys policies? Seeing how only NY DOI is challenging this, and NOT any other state, that leads me to believe that NYs insurance laws are further behind the curve than the rest of the country.
Old May 2, 2018, 09:18 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff
... did the NRA need an insurance license to sell another companys policies? Seeing how only NY DOI is challenging this, and NOT any other state, that leads me to believe that NYs insurance laws are further behind the curve than the rest of the country.
  1. One always needs a license to market insurance, but the NRA really isn't marketing insurance. An appropriately licensed entity is, and the NRA is simply lending its name to the program.

This sort of thing is done by all kinds of affinity groups, from the Safari Club (with respect to gun insurance marketed by a licensed broker -- Sportsman's Insurance Agency), AARP, etc.

2. New York insurance laws tend to be "unusual" and New York insurance regulators can be difficult to deal with. For that reason many national insurance companies have separate New York subsidiaries to do business in New York.

3. This sort of jousting with insurance regulators is pretty common, and things usually get sorted out.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 7, 2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

A good analysis of the Carry Guard program by Krtraining's Karl Rehn:

http://blog.krtraining.com/2018-nra-...las-texas-aar/

Not very positive and I respect his view point.
Old May 8, 2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Don P

Thanks Glenn for the link. I agree with most of what Karl stated. With regards to clothing seems if you are bigger than 44 pants or a 2XL shirt you are as they say SOL for clothing. Catering to the small crowd seems to be the norm
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 8, 2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
A good analysis of the Carry Guard program by Krtraining's Karl Rehn:

http://blog.krtraining.com/2018-nra-...las-texas-aar/

Not very positive and I respect his view point.
I guess I'm in good company, then. As an NRA instructor certified to teach multiple courses, when Carry Guard was announced I immediately reached out to inquire about becoming a Carry Guard instructor. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.