The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2007, 07:07 PM   #1
IrvJr

Lee Hand Press for .223 Remington rounds?

Hi There,

I have been reloading handgun rounds (.38 special and .44 special) for my revolvers. I would like to start reloading .223 Remington for a bolt gun in .223 with a 1 in 9" barrel twist.

I have never reloaded for a rifle caliber cartridge yet and I had some questions.

I have Lee Hand Press that I've been using for reloading handgun rounds. Has anyone here reloaded .223 rounds using a Lee Hand Press? Do you think this type of press is sufficient for loading up small batches (20 to 50 rounds) of this small caliber rifle round? It's pretty easy to reload straight-walled revolver rounds with this Hand Press, but I've never tried a rifle round with this press yet.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 29, 2007, 07:12 PM   #2
mniesen89

I've been reloading 30-06 with my hand press, its a work out after a hundred rounds or so but its really not that bad.....I enjoy it....I also havent had any problems with my press with such a large round.
Old October 29, 2007, 10:25 PM   #3
Sigma 40 Blaster

I used my hand press for the first 15 .223 rounds I made to test. It wasn't too bad, especially for limited quantities. I really liked the fact I could get "up close and personal" on the crimping stage to be sure I was crimping just enough to knock the flare out of it.

Full length resizing SUCKS but if you're shooting a bolt action (and you'll only be shooting that particular gun) you'd do well with just neck (or is it mouth??) resizing.
Old October 30, 2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Leeman

Works for most calibers with certain dies.

The hand press is made from high stength 48,000 lb. aluminum alloy. Few if any people are not strong enough to break it.

Use the Lee Hand Press for bottle neck case only with Forester Bench Rest dies or any style of Lee dies. These are the only brands that have the elevated expanders that pull out of the case mouth during that portion of travel with the greatest mechanical advantage. Other brands have the expander near the decapper and it feels like you come to a solid stop when the expander hits the neck.
Any brand of pistol dies work fine.

Be sure to use Lee sizing lube. Nothing else works as well. Wipe it on with your fingers and be very stingy with it. It rinses off your hands with water. You can leave it on the case provided you use very little.
Old October 30, 2007, 08:45 AM   #5
IrvJr

Thanks folks for the replies and tips. I really like my Lee Hand Press (and Lee dies, and other Lee reloading tools). I think i"ll start out using the Hand Press and maybe later on invest in a Lee Turret press.

Eventually I might want to get a Lee turret press so I can keep all dies for a specific caliber installed on their "instant change turrets" and not have to readjust everything each time I want to load up some handgun ammo or rifle ammo.

I've simplified things so I primarily shoot .38sp for centerfire handguns and .223 for centerfire long guns.
Old October 31, 2007, 04:23 PM   #6
swmike

Single Stage (Hand) presses are essential to the reloading bench. Working up a load or limited runs are easily done on one. For .223 there is no difference. Load away. Follow the same steps only on rifle cases you will want to check case length and trim as necessary. If you have a bolt action the single stage press will be adequate. If you have an autoloader (AR, etc.) you will be frustrated trying to keep up with the gun's appetite. That is unless you load 5 days a week and only shoot one. If you like to shoot a lot of .223 consider a progressive like the LEE Progressive, LEE Loadmaster, Hornady Lock-N-Load, or one of the high volume Dillon presses. Prices start at $200 and go up to well over $1,000.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 31, 2007, 04:47 PM   #7
swmike

(double post)

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".