The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2001, 03:25 PM   #1
ASG

I was just wondering if these finishes stink up your oven after you bake them. How long does this smell last? I don't want the wife to get upset if I should decide to try one of these finishes on my alloy 1911 frame. Thanks in advance.

ASG

Old March 23, 2001, 06:29 PM   #2
Keith J

Careful

Aluminum alloy frames are heat treated and baking a finish can damage this heat treatment. 6061 T6 can take 350 F for up to 1/2 hour. Going to any higher temp will eventually cause degradation.

As far as the stink, the baking lacquer smell will dissipate upon cooling. Make sure the volatiles have flashed off before putting it in the oven, otherwise, there is a flame hazard.

Epoxies will off-gas but the smell also dissipates upon cooling. Best bet would still be to used a thrift-store toaster oven. Calibrate it before using and use aluminum foil to act as a radiation shield to force convective heating.
Old March 24, 2001, 09:53 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Keith, been there got the lumps for that. If you'll apply the lacquer or teflon outside and then bake it the smell isn't nearly so bad. George
Old March 24, 2001, 01:09 PM   #4
DFBonnett

I've used both the baking lacquer and the Alumahyde II. The baking lacquer is best used in the warmer weather when you can open the windows. I prefer the Alumahyde II as it does not need to be baked and appears tougher, at least when used on mags. Downside of A II is that it must cure for at least a week to harden up. Others say two weeks.
YMMV