The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 12, 2001, 10:56 PM   #1
nwgunman

The thumb safety on my new Springfield is a little too easy to disengage. Perhaps you fellow dremel tool hackers can offer some tips on increasing the pressure required to get it to go "off safe"? Maybe grind a little bit more off so that the plunger extends further under the angle before it bumps up and over into the detent? Thanks.
Old March 13, 2001, 08:05 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Nwgunman, I'd first try a new plunger spring and perhaps ream the plunger tube to make sure the safety plunger is extending out completely. If that didn't work I'd have a new safety installed. I really believe that's the way you'll wind up having to go. It sounds to me like the safety isn't fit correctly. Attacking the problem with a dremel would make it very easy to go too far too quickly. You might end up with a safety that you can't disengage. George
Old March 14, 2001, 06:38 PM   #3
Seppeku

Yep

I just had this same problem on a new Colt XS that I purchased. The thumb safety wouldn't go up as far as it should and it was really easy to disengage.

I took it in to a local gunsmith and he said that it had not been installed right from the factory. He had to remove some metal on the saftey itself to get it to work right. After I got it back, it's perfect.

Just FYI
Old March 14, 2001, 09:54 PM   #4
nwgunman

Well, adjusting the engagement/dis-engagement IS part of "fitting" a thumb safety. Ed Brown offers a little advise in his "Bench Reference", concerning how to tune one that's "too tight". I'm thinking about increasing the "ledge" the plunger has to bump over as the safety goes "down" to "off safe". Thus increasing the pressure slightly to get it to go "off safe". And yup, plunger tube is smooth (which was a nice surprize) and the plunger itself slides in and out nicely, spring has lots of pressure. The safety fully engages in the "on safe" position...snugly up against the slide in the notch.