The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 9, 2001, 09:43 AM   #1
AAshooter

Has anyone attend this NRA sponsored school held in Lassen Community College in Susanville? If so, what did you think of the instruction?

They seem to offer a nice selection of 1 and 2 day classes. Thanks in advance for the comments!
Old March 9, 2001, 04:45 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've been there numerous times. The machinery (lathes) are worn, but the instruction is First Class. Lee Fosberg taught me caustic bluing, and he still teaches there. Bob Dunlap, my instructor for several classes, has returned to teach 22 rifle repairs. I'd like to take color case hardening, but am going to KY to take some blackpowder rifle building courses instead.

BTW, try the Frosty Mill down the road from the College. Their World Burger is great!
Old March 10, 2001, 12:37 AM   #3
Bullmoose

I went to 5-6 of the 1 and 2 week classes over a 4-5 year period about 10 years ago. That was when Bob Dunlap was in charge. Haven't been back, but really miss it. The instructors on the 1-2 week NRA sponsored summer classes are generally competent and they cover the topics as stated in the class schedule. It is a chance to learn and also to mingle with a lot of avid shooters so a good time is had by all. Some of the instructors at that time included teachers from the college, Dick Clark the head armoror for the CHP, Brown of Brown Precision, Al Bieson one of the true artists in gunstocks, a top engraver who's name eludes me, etc... Good people, good times and comparatively very affordable.
Old March 12, 2001, 10:14 AM   #4
AAshooter

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the comments. I went ahead and sent in my registration and even was brave enough to take the dorm lodging. I think the class and lodging for the week ran $97. That is hard to beat!

Somehow, I couldn't buy the week long meal ticket . . . I doubt the college food has improved much since I was there last.
Old March 12, 2001, 12:58 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Stay away from the Chinese Restaurants in town. They both suck & the Mexican restaurants aren't any good either. Have fun!