The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

Range Report - Coated 148 DEWC's

Hi Everyone, Today I tested SNS Casting 148g Coated DEWC's. Having no experience with coated bullets, I thought I'd give them a try and report out to all of us loaders.

This was my first bullet purchase with SNS Casting; and also my first purchase - or exposure in any way - of coated bullets. I purchased 1000 of them, and the cost was $91.00 to get them to my front door (9.1 cents/round). SNS was prompt and delivered a well packaged for transport product within a week of ordering. First rate service.

I loaded them with 4.2g W231 w/ a Win WSP primer (38 Special). I seated them at the crimp groove, which is a 1.238" COL +.004/-.002. I used an RCBS taper crimp die. I seated and crimped in one operation.

Now I didn't chrono these rounds today because they're target loads. But just for reference, the same loading with a BHN 18 lead slug chronos at 906fps/3"bbl; 956fps/4"bbl; & 967fps 8"bbl (all S&W 686's). So it's safe to say these coated rounds were in the 900fps neighborhood.

They were definitely accurate shooters. I pounded the bullseye with them. I don't know exactly how accurate they are because I can't shoot from a rest to save my life. But I can tell you that I am an excellent shot, and they shot straighter than I did. Without a doubt, they went right where I pointed them - "I" being the biggest variable.

Here's the most noteworthy part: I bought coated bullets because they were supposedly less smokey than traditional lubricated lead bullets. Well, they were still smokey. Less smokey than lead, but a lot more smokey than jacketed. I guess it was the coating that was smoking because they also had this distinctive smell similar to burning electrical insulation. It wasn't pleasant at all. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I'd rather deal with traditional lead bullet smoke.

I'll shoot the remaining bullets from this batch of 1000, but I doubt I'll be buying any more. SNS seems to be an excellent company with which to do business; and if they have any other products that I want, I'll certainly give them highest consideration. It's just that coated bullets may not be for me.
Old January 1, 2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Forrest68

Thanks for the info Nick, I was very interested to hear how ya made out with those coated bullets. Happy new year by the way
Old January 1, 2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Wreck-n-Crew

Their Cast bullets are top notch. I have used almost 2000 of them this year in 9mm and 45 acp.

Maybe better for outdoors? Were you indoors? How was the leading as opposed to the uncoated or did you shoot enough to tell?

Sorry for the 1000 questions.... I was considering them for an alternative plinking load to cast if my supplier of plated bullets runs out when I need more.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I was outdoors. Not sure about leading. I haven't cleaned the gun yet, but I don't expect any, as I only fired 50 rounds. If there is excessive leading or any other anomaly when I clean the gun, I'll report.