The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 9, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Honda4me

CVA Firebolt Muzzleloader problem

I picked up a beat up (marks & scratches all over it) .50 cal. CVA Firebolt for very little and I need some help. I can't get it to fire or even indent the 209 shotgun primer. The spring seems very strong & when I took it apart it was a pretty hard to get that spring back in the bolt. It acts like the firing pin just isn't going far enough into the209 shotgun primer when the trigger is pulled.

Is there any other type of primer it might need instead of the shotgun 209 which fits it perfectly?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Pahoo

First the practicals and then the particulars.

It's obvious that the striker is not even reaching the primer. The most practical thing to do, is take it to a gun smith or someone that is familiar with in-lines. Take some time to study and operate the bolt. Check you safety/safeties and perhaps the gun will indicate the interference. Is this In-line dedicated to a 209 or do you have an option of using another primer? The fix does not sound serious. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 9, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Honda4me

The Firebolt is inline bolt action and the breechplug can be replaced to use percussion caps but as I said this holds the 209 primmer perfectly so I assume that is what worked in it. Maybe the nipple breechplug would extend further (closer to the firing pin) and work. Thanks for your suggestion Pahoo.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:34 PM   #4
thallub

Pictured is the bolt used in the CVA bolt action guns. The striker should have a small diameter tip on the end. These guns sometimes experience misfires because of a weak striker spring. Stretch the spring about 1/4" and see if the primer will fire.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...qr/CVABolt.jpg
Old February 19, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Honda4me

Thanks Thallub. I did stretch the boltspring to see if it would help but it didn't.

I had emailed CVA and they replied and I ordered a breechplug with nipples to try instead of the 209 primers. I'll post here if the conversion works. I should get the parts in this week so it won't be long.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Honda4me

Problem corrected!

The new conversion breechplug from CVA, useing Magnum 11 percussion caps are working with no problem. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. Yahoo!!