The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 27, 2013, 12:39 AM   #1
mohr308

Looking to build a 6.5 creedmoor

I've never built a rifle, I'm sure I am capable (machinist by trade). If I wanted to buy all the parts, where would I start? Any suggestions on part manufactures?
Old February 27, 2013, 01:00 AM   #2
taylorce1

I'd start with figuring out what action you want to use first. Here is what a hobbyist can do, if you have the proper tools.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 27, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:34 AM   #3
steveNChunter

If I ever get the means/skill to build a custom rifle I want it on a Savage target action. But as I have never built one I'm not the best source of info.

I think a new target action from Savage runs about $500.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/#
Old February 27, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4
tobnpr

If you have the bucks for the class...I would do it with this guy...
He has an outstanding reputation as a precision rifle smith. You would walk away with the "perfect" rifle, AND the knowledge of how to build the next one, yourself...

http://www.gradousrifles.com/class.php
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old February 27, 2013, 02:38 PM   #5
reynolds357

The easiest first build would be to use a Savage short action. I would recommend a pre chambered barrel from Shilen. More than likely you wont even have to use your machinist skills. If you just want a challenge use a 700 Remington action and order a barrel blank. Then you will have to buy the reamer and you will have more invested in building from a blank than you would have in buying a finished barrel.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:33 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
The easiest first build would be to use a Savage short action. I would recommend a pre chambered barrel from Shilen. More than likely you wont even have to use your machinist skills. If you just want a challenge use a 700 Remington action and order a barrel blank. Then you will have to buy the reamer and you will have more invested in building from a blank than you would have in buying a finished barrel
I'll agree that the Savage will be the easiest to build with a pre-fit barrel. But the Savage has changed the action screw spacing so much you are limited on aftermarket stocks if you are looking for something non-tatical. However you have posted some misinformation in your post about using a Remington action.

First is that the OP doesn't have to order a blank. Every barrel manufacturer will sell you a barrel contoured, threaded, crownend and chambered for a Rem M700 action. There is simply no need to start from a blank. There are even some barrel makers out there offering a pre-fit Remington barrel with a barrel nut just like a Savage.

Second the OP doesn't have to purchase any reamers even if he does decide to work from a blank. There are companies out there that rent reamers because the realize there is enough hobbiest out there to make it worth their while. Plus sometimes a smith will rent a reamer for a one time job for a customer rather than invest in the reamer themselves. 4-D Products and Elkridge Reamers are two that I've used in the past just to rent the gages to correctly install a new barrel.

The truth is a guy with a minimum amount of hand tools can install a barrel on a Rem M700 and headspace it correctly. It is a little more involved than a Savage but it can be done. It would be done without truing the bolt and action face or lapping the lugs on the bolt but it isn't that hard. The biggest PITA would be finishing the chamber by reaming it by hand with a T-handle. You can do the same with just about any bolt action rifle as long as you don't have to make an extractor cut like on a M70 or Montana 1999 action.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 27, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:54 PM   #7
tobnpr

OP said he's a machinist, and wants to build a rifle.

That said, I'm a Savage fan, own several, re-barreled them- but it's a real stretch to call them a rifle "build"...IMO, it's an "assembly".

I got the impression the OP is looking to learn actual gunsmithing skills.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old February 27, 2013, 05:53 PM   #8
reynolds357

Taylor, I posted no misinformation. I never said what you can and cant get for a Remington. "I said if you want a challenge," buy such and such. You can get prefit barrels for Remingtons that use nuts, but thats not going to challenge ones machinist skills. A blank would do that. As far as renting reamers, you can do it but unless pricing has changed I dont see it as greatly cost effective.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:58 PM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357
Taylor, I posted no misinformation. I never said what you can and cant get for a Remington. "I said if you want a challenge," buy such and such. You can get prefit barrels for Remingtons that use nuts, but thats not going to challenge ones machinist skills. A blank would do that. As far as renting reamers, you can do it but unless pricing has changed I dont see it as greatly cost effective.
You were misinforming the OP on the reamers and that is why I presented the links. Renting is still far cheaper in the long run than buying a reamer unless you are going to do several barrels. A new live pilot reamer from PT&G is $138 and then you still have to buy the bushing sets to make sure your reamer is correctly centered. Go/NoGo gages run about $35-40 apiece. Renting the reamer and gages from Elk Ridge for two weeks cost $41 plus shipping, to rent the same items from 4-D it cost $180 plus shipping with deposit and when you return it you get all your deposit back but $38. Tell me how renting for the hobbist isn't more cost effective for a single barrel?

If you were going to recommend something to challenge a "machinist skills" why would you recommend a Savage action and Shilen pre-fit for the OP? When the OP stated that he was a machinist by trade, I would naturally think that he has access to the tools to do everything himself. I'm sure there is enough scrap around his job that he can probably fabricate most of the tools he'd need anyway.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:31 PM   #10
reynolds357

Just read my first post. I said if you want to challenge your skills use Remington and a blank. The statement was contrasting my first suggestion.
I usually pay about $100, give or take, for a reamer. Then I can use it again or sell it.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
mohr308

Looking at the list of things to do and choose from, this may take me a few years! Lots of good info and links.thanks guys!
Old February 28, 2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Geo_Erudite

A Bat Action intrigues me the most, mostly because it is made of 17-4 stainless steel as apposed to the 416 most stainless actions are made of. There is also a discussion going on at the Savage Shooters Forum about the Shilen Action:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ghlight=shilen
Old February 28, 2013, 07:08 PM   #13
reynolds357

I love my Bat. I actually love the 5" groups it regularly turns in at 1k.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:20 PM   #14
RonR6

If you know anyone that gets Shotgun News this months issue has a nice article
about a Savage model 12 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looks to be a awesome rifle right out of the box. You should check it out before you commit to a build.
Old March 1, 2013, 02:03 PM   #15
mohr308

Thanks