The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 5, 2008, 07:15 PM   #1
captj

Savage model 99 or 99F

I have a 243 cal. Savage model 99, I ordered a replacement barrel from numerich, only problem is the new to me barrel has v-threads and the other that is bent has square threads can anyone give some info. where I can find the correct barrel in either 243 or 250-3000 cal. Serial on gun is 925XXX. this gun has been passed down for few generations and I would love to able to use it this coming hunting season.
Old July 5, 2008, 07:40 PM   #2
dipper

I have never re- barreled a Savage model 99 -- I could be wrong, but I doubt the original barrel and action for that matter has square threads.
I have cut square threads but never in a firearms application.
You may just be seeing a poor thread job--standard 60 degree that is---with larger than normal flats on the top and bottom of the threads.
I would check to make sure what kind of threads Savage used on that rifle before I went any farther---maybe someone with experience with a 99 will come along and let us know exactly what type of threads Savage used back then--like I said, I could be wrong but I doubt square threads.
A Savage 99 is on my "must have one day" list--they are fine lever action and there is a rumor I have heard about Savage re-introducing it again--who knows?
Are you sure the original barrel is bent?? It takes A LOT to bend a barrel like using it for a crow bar and you would have to be pretty darn strong at that.
Just thought of something, did Savage offer that model in a take down--I think they may have and that could explain the threads.
You should talk to a smith that is familiar with the 99---I can tell you for sure that the rifle is sought after and has some value to it---I would think long and hard about altering it in any way.
If it is a take down model, a good smith can set you up with another barrel and you can deep the original.

Dipper

Last edited by dipper; July 5, 2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: add to text
Old July 5, 2008, 08:22 PM   #3
elkman06

Any chance you can get your hands on a thread guage and actually measure the threads per inch?
I cannot imagine someone putting a machine thread into a standard TPI application.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 5, 2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Bud Helms

The Smithy forum ...
Old July 5, 2008, 09:35 PM   #5
R.Childs

If I'm not mistaken, the 99 did have square threads on the barrel and receiver. This gun was designed to be a takedown gun. The barrel could be easily screwed out of the action by hand.
Check with Numrich and see if they in fact sent you the right barrel.
Old July 5, 2008, 09:42 PM   #6
R.Childs

Just came back from Numrichs website. There are about a dozen variations of the 99. You evidently have the "Takedown" model which is listed. This is the same model I dealt with that had square threads. Numrich didn't have a barrel listed for the takedown model but give them a call and see if they have one.

Did you by chance order a barrel specifically for the takedown model?
Old July 6, 2008, 09:25 AM   #7
captj

Savage 99

The 99 I have has savage model 99 near front scope mount, on the damaged barrel it has model 99F and it does have square threads, I dont think it is a takedown model though, the barrel I ordered fron numerich was for a 99f, because that was what was on the old barrel. I said in my original post that gun had been passed down, that is true but it was also traded several years ago, and I was able to make a trade a few years ago to get it back ( damaged and the barrel had been cut of)
Old July 6, 2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Wleoff

I've had good luck in contacting Marlin for a barrel for an old 336 and Ruger for a single-six barrel. Might want to contact Savage directly.
Old July 6, 2008, 05:18 PM   #9
R.Childs

Captj, follow this link http://e-gunparts.com/products.asp?c...l=089Zz99F&MC=

The 99F must have come both ways. Numrich does offer a 243 and 300savage with v threads.

They also offer a 300savage barrel with square threads.

Interesting.............
Old July 6, 2008, 05:52 PM   #10
captj

Thanks

Thanks I have also noticed they come both ways but not in a 243 cal. I plan on calling them when I get off of work tomorrow. I would like to keep it in 243 as I also have a 250-3000 and a 300 already, if money wasn'y a problem I'd have them all. Ha Ha