The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2013, 11:56 AM   #51
hounddawg

Quote:
hodaka
hounddawg - that is a great story and the anology really fits.
yeah I bet no one on here can show me any piece of legislation state or Federal where that would has any language in it to restrict reloading supplies of any type. All this panic over nothing

anyway sorry for the offtopic, that discussion belongs in another sub forum
Old February 8, 2013, 12:07 PM   #52
overhead

Would you consider requiring a background check or banning internet sales of such items to be a restriction? Because there are federal bills that have been introduced and NY has already passed a law which has these requirements.

I am not saying that justifies the run on ammo and reloading supplies, but there are some moves being made.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:14 PM   #53
hounddawg

there is nothing concerning reloading supplies in the latest NY State bill that I could find. Here is the text, maybe you can point out what page that is on

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-document.html

Here is Feinsteins bill

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/201...n-gun-ban.html

I saw nothing in there about powder, primers etc either. Are you referring to some other Federal Bill ?
Old February 8, 2013, 12:35 PM   #54
rclark

The other day I decided I wanted to try Ramshot's True Blue powder for fun. Hah! That got of laughs at the store. Went down to the store and they wouldn't even order a can for me (which they usually will do) . Said their distributors were wiped out. No can do.... Maybe I should make a drive to Miles City and get it 'direct' .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:42 PM   #55
overhead

I fear we are going to take this thread a little too far off topic and being new here I would rather not push my luck. So, I will keep this short.

It is going to fully depend how a law may define "ammunition". I would have to assume smokeless powder and primers would be included. I can't imagine pro-gun control folks are going to push to require licensing and background checks for cartridges, and not for the parts require to make them. But, I will not dig through the document and pull up a page number for you. I don't live in NY, would never live in NY so I don't really care much about their gun laws other then to say they are silly.

Here is one example, again, it will depend on how one defines ammunition.

http://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/amm...ck-act-of-2013

It is my understanding that as of 1/15/2014 online sales of ammo to residents of NY will be illegal. I am just going by what folks who live there have told me, along with hearing that Midway and some other suppliers are not shipping there anymore, or were not for a while.

Again, I don't think any of this justifies most people freaking out and buying up a ton of ammo. Though I must admit, if I lived in NY, CA, Mass or Conn. I would probably be buying like a mad man. Honestly, I am more upset about the shortage of 22lr then I am reloading components.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:59 PM   #56
hounddawg

Various online stores have stopped online sale of loaded ammunition has been illegal in NY State for some time but that is store policy not law. I am also fairly sure that NYC bans it already. Lots of bad info floating around out there. I really urge everyone to read up a bit and not spread he said/she said rumor

here is a list of states and their respective ammo sales laws laws

http://www.theamericanmarksman.com/S...ons_ep_42.html

Only State with a restriction on reloading components is Massachusetts

anyway this is too far off topic and in the wrong forum anyway so apologies to all

Last edited by hounddawg; February 8, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:12 PM   #57
overhead

Online ammo purchases from residents in NYC were illegal, I don't think the state had such a restriction....at least not according to the three of four online ammo websites FAQ's I checked. I think you are participating in the spread of bad info

If there were already a ban on direct internet sales, one would think Cuomo would not be saying that that restriction was added by his pet legislation that will require an FFL to do the transfer. Again, it will come down to how they define ammunition.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/011...un-legislation

"To track high-volume ammunition purchasers, the legislation will make New York the first state in the nation to track ammo purchases in real time. All dealers in ammunition must be registered with the State Police, and each sale will require both a state background check and transmission of a record of the sale to State Police, so as to enable alerts of high volume purchases. Ammunition records will be purged within a year of submission. Dealers must report any loss of inventory. The legislation will also include a ban on direct internet sales of ammunition. Ammunition ordered over the internet must be delivered in a face-to-face transaction with a firearms dealer and the purchaser will be subject to the state background check. The Aurora shooter reportedly amassed 6000 rounds through direct online purchases."

Anyway, that is enough of that and sorry for the off topic. I have my primers, I even have a little powder left, now if I could just get some bullets.... Overall, I agree, many people are freaking out over what amounts to BS.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:24 PM   #58
Bluehighways

Stopped by Scheels in Eau Claire, WI last night and the bullets were nearly cleaned out.

I was, however, happy to see that both their cabinets of powder were nearly full. They had plenty of IMR 3031 and 4895. The only powder they were really out of was Varget.

They also had a full stock of primers in the display case, with full shelves of everything except small rifle.

I've been pretty lucky so far with the run on supplies. I bought a crap-ton of primers with last year's tax returns, I've got my dies and 5 years worth of range picked brass all cleaned and tumbled.

I manage (so far) to get powder when I want it, and I buy more than I use so my stash gets better each time I stop in. Since I don't shoot .223 I haven't had a terrible time finding supplies, with bullets being the one exception.
Old February 8, 2013, 02:31 PM   #59
907arcticcat

Quote:
"No one is shooting "more"... in fact, probably less since prices have risen so much. The "demand" isn't due to more shooting- it's due to panic buying like we see in the picture above.35,000 primers...really?
Not everyone shoots 200 rounds per year! I buy ahead a couple years to hedge against price increases, reduce shipping fees and short term supply issues, so in my case 50,000 primers is not panic buying....really
Old February 8, 2013, 03:38 PM   #60
rclark

Quote:
Not everyone shoots 200 rounds per year!
So right.... and I am not a 'large quantity' shooter either and I put only around 3000-5000 Big Bore down range each year depending.... And that isn't counting the .22LR which is at least a couple times that ..... I just don't get out and shoot 'much' like some others, unfortunately.

Quote:
amassed 6000 rounds through direct online purchases."
And that's a problem that needs to be tracked? I shoot that or more over the year. One day I can easily burn a couple bulk packs of .22LR ... or 1100 per day. And I don't even have to use a semi-auto to shoot it! Normally I burn around 200-300 or so... as I don't have all afternoon to shoot. Not much ammo at all ... in the long run. If I 'only' shot 100 rounds a week that is 5200 rounds for the year..... Not much.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; February 8, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:06 PM   #61
orionengnr

Quote:
Order from powder mountain or...
Who???
Old February 9, 2013, 08:05 AM   #62
hooligan1

Bass-Pro here in Independence, restocked yesterday and have several different types of powders, somebody bought up the H4350 again!!
Old February 9, 2013, 08:49 AM   #63
hodaka

Quote:
Order from powder mountain or...
That is the higher priced branch of Powder Valley.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:26 AM   #64
hounddawg

This summer I think I am going to start experimenting with VV and Aliance powders a bit. See if I can find a pet load for each of my cartridges before the next crunch. Hogdon IMR and Winchester seemed to get hit hardest during these spells.

I have noticed some primers and powders starting to re appear as in stock. This one is not going to be not near as long as 2008/2009 was
Old February 16, 2013, 08:10 PM   #65
hooligan1

I just bought 212 once fired bras 7 mm rem mag, $40.00. "that'll do donkey, that'll do"!!
Old February 16, 2013, 11:37 PM   #66
joneb

Start looking in small towns. I use the phone book and call around. But by now that option maybe off the table.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:23 AM   #67
NWPilgrim

httP://brunoshooters.com has primers, though at $39-$54/1000.

Powder Valley actually has some powder, I just ordered some H110 and Universal. I didn't see many 8# kegs but some 1# and 4#.

I also was able to order bullets from Missouri Bullets and Montana Gold Bullets.

All ammo manufacturers have shifted components to assembling loaded ammo that is why we have a shortage on them, nothing coming down the pipeline until loaded ammo inventories build up. Plus, when guys run out of of ammo they stock up more on components, and lots of new guys come into the reloading hobby and want to get a couple of thousand of everything to get set up.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 17, 2013, 12:26 AM   #68
joneb

So maybe when the DHS gets their 1.6 billion rounds there might be something left for US
Old February 18, 2013, 02:29 AM   #69
sig220mwxxxx

Spaceghost I understand what you are saying. I use the internet also in my handloading process but the computer and the internet can go down while those loading manuals just sit there on the shelf ready to be looked at. I have a friend that brags about the fact that he has never read a book but he does read his manuals. If nothing else they work well as a cross reference for some of the stuff on the net that you might find questionable. I only have 3 manuals and plan to look for some older ones at the next gun show I attend.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:33 AM   #70
sig220mwxxxx

I have plenty of brass, primers and bullets. I also have powder but not enough. When this is over I'll be buying it in the 8 lb jugs instead of the 1 lb.