The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 23, 2008, 01:21 PM   #1
aslan

A brand new member and questions

Hi everyone
Just joined. What are some things I need to know to get involved in black powder pistols? I know I need to read. Any publications that are better than others? I just purchased "Complete Blackpowder Handbook". TIA
Stan
Old November 23, 2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Hawg

Read the sticky So you want a cap and ball revolver? Part 2. Part one is there too. It's pretty good advice. Once you get some experience you'll start doing things your own way. Everybody does things differently. Not many of them are wrong, just different.
Old November 23, 2008, 06:56 PM   #3
hejlman

There's no experience like experience. I have a navy Colt 44 black powder revolver and it is a blast, literally. I use approx. 30/35 grain smokeless black powder, measured in a black powder tool available at most suppliers, round ball, and black powder "butter" lube to keep it from cross-firing. There is a lot of information available about shooting black powder but like I said most people do the trial and error metod. Try different loads and bullets, there are just as many types as regular cartridge rounds.