The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 15, 2018, 01:10 AM   #26
ammo.crafter

oink

Try Barnes 6.5MM .264″ 120 GR TSX BT
Old February 1, 2018, 08:02 PM   #27
gw44

Starting to see hogs here in Michigan, so I have been thinking about hog loads 30.06 180gr sst should do it !!!
Old February 2, 2018, 08:18 AM   #28
Doyle

Quote:
Starting to see hogs here in Michigan, so I have been thinking about hog loads 30.06 180gr sst should do it !!!
I've seen the effects of SST/Ballistic Tip bullets on hogs and they weren't great. I've seen them blow apart on the shoulders and penetrate deep enough for a quick kill and I've seen the kill but blow apart enough to ruin lots of good meat. You'll do far better with a bullet that will stay together.
Old February 2, 2018, 10:08 AM   #29
Zen Archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo.crafter View Post
Try Barnes 6.5MM .264″ 120 GR TSX BT
TSX runs compressed. I've got TAC-X is my most accurate fastest load at just under 3000 fps.
Old February 2, 2018, 10:09 AM   #30
Zen Archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gw44 View Post
starting to see hogs here in michigan, so i have been thinking about hog loads 30.06 180gr sst should do it !!!
n o k i d d i n g !!!!
Old February 2, 2018, 02:22 PM   #31
jfruser

Nice shoot & nice video.

I have a soft spot for heavy-for-caliber cup & core projectiles.
Old February 2, 2018, 09:52 PM   #32
Whistlebritches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
I've seen the effects of SST/Ballistic Tip bullets on hogs and they weren't great. I've seen them blow apart on the shoulders and penetrate deep enough for a quick kill and I've seen the kill but blow apart enough to ruin lots of good meat. You'll do far better with a bullet that will stay together.
I've literally taken well over 100 wild hogs with a 25-06 spitting out 117 gr Hornady BTSP's and probably another 30-35 with 117gr Hornady SST's.

First of all killing pigs is different than deer.I wouldn't shoot a big wild boar in the shoulder with any size rifle.Quartering away shots if you just have to shoot heart/lung.I shoot heart /lung occasionally but hate meat damage so 90% of the time I go head/neck shot.Some shots were inside 50 yards and some were way out there........400.Two failures to date and most likely my fault on both,running shots in low light.
Old February 3, 2018, 04:00 AM   #33
Old Stony

Almost all of my hog hunting anymore is done with a 6.5 Creedmore using 123 SST's. Granted they don't have the penetration of some bullets, but do a great job if placed correctly.
A lot of hog hunting in my area is done around very dense woods and using tough bullets that will penetrate through a hog often time allow the hog to make it some distance before going down which results in lost animals.
Using the SST bullets in the neck or frontal areas of the hog seem to drop them instantly by doing major damage internally and upsetting their central nervous system.
Old February 4, 2018, 12:22 AM   #34
Whistlebritches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
Almost all of my hog hunting anymore is done with a 6.5 Creedmore using 123 SST's. Granted they don't have the penetration of some bullets, but do a great job if placed correctly.
A lot of hog hunting in my area is done around very dense woods and using tough bullets that will penetrate through a hog often time allow the hog to make it some distance before going down which results in lost animals.
Using the SST bullets in the neck or frontal areas of the hog seem to drop them instantly by doing major damage internally and upsetting their central nervous system.
A simple "LIKE" button would suffice
Old February 6, 2018, 04:09 PM   #35
Tallest

My one time hog hunting (in Georgia), I took a 8x57 mauser, which penetrated more than sufficiently, but it took only 1 of the 3 I shot. I had borrowed a Ruger 44 mag Super Redhawk, as a "back up." Well when they're 50 feet from you, running through the trees as pack, that bolt gun gets a little cumbersome and the revolver starts making a lot of sense. It was a little too much gun, sort of... but oh man was it fun!

I'd like to do some more hog hunting, but we don't have them up here in my part of VA, and I imagine wishing out loud for some to migrate north would result in having my jaw broken by any number of local farmers. Perhaps I'll seek out a host down south!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 6, 2018, 04:10 PM   #36
Tallest

I forgot what I originally intended to say...

Great video! Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 20, 2018, 07:39 AM   #37
kymasabe

Good video, keep 'em coming.