The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 24, 2017, 11:42 PM   #1
TruthTellers

NAA Companion

I feel like I've made this thread before, which goes to show you how re-occurring this gun is on my mind.

So, I've been off and on about the Companions for a few years and I think the window has finally swung open and stayed open. I have a desire to own an NAA with the small grip and 1 inch barrel for concealed carry, but I've never shot one with the tiny grip. I have a Minimaster that has a large rubber grip, but it's a 4 inch and trying with the little grips is dumb considering the barrel length.

I don't want to go and buy a .22 LR or Mag mini revolver and find I don't like it and deal with the hassle of selling it and FFL's and such, so the black powder models are appealing to me and for more than just black powder.

I have seen a dozen videos and read several forums of people using smokeless powder in them and the guns don't blow up and no one has been hurt. It seems that Freedom Arms, when they were making them, and NAA once advertised that smokeless powder could be used in them and I see no reason why they couldn't be given how well made and modern they are.

I'm not saying I only want to shoot smokeless in them, but I would like to try it a few times to see how it goes. Once that is met, I'll go back to using Triple 7.

Thoughts?
Old December 25, 2017, 12:16 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Since it's Christmas, I won't tell you what an asinine idea it is.
The Companion is a neat little toy, but it's not for carry.
The NAA with the .22 lr cylinder is a fine little carry gun.
Old December 25, 2017, 01:00 AM   #3
Hawg

There's lots of idiots on you tube.
Old December 25, 2017, 01:33 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I believe the NAAs to be safe with smokeless powder.
Carrying a blackpowder gun for protection is foolhardy.
Old December 25, 2017, 02:17 AM   #5
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Bu... But my lightening fast reloads with spare loaded and capped cylinders man...

Faster than a Ranger 2.
Old December 25, 2017, 05:45 AM   #6
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Poppycock.

Ever S&W revolver based off the original 1899 Military & Police are BLACK POWDER WEAPONS since their very design is based off the .38 Special Ctg. which was introduced in BLACK POWDER.
Old December 25, 2017, 06:58 AM   #7
Screwball

NAA Companion

I remember posting in a thread because someone didn’t want to spend the money going through an FFL, but wanted to buy one and convert it to a cartridge model... for the price of the gun and kit, he was spending noticeably more than my Sidewinder convertible. Don’t remember who it was, but think it was around the time you were upset with your NAA, so don’t think it was you.

Personally, I’d ask around and see if someone has one locally, and try the regular model out. A LOT cheaper than the route you mentioned, even if a non FFL item. I don’t find the normal Magnum grip to be bad when firing Magnums, so can’t see any issue with the Mini ones. But recoil is subjective.
Old December 25, 2017, 08:49 AM   #8
AKexpat

Quote:
I remember posting in a thread because someone didn’t want to spend the money going through an FFL, but wanted to buy one and convert it to a cartridge model... for the price of the gun and kit, he was spending noticeably more than my Sidewinder convertible. Don’t remember who it was, but think it was around the time you were upset with your NAA, so don’t think it was you.
It was me, and after your post I saw the logic of your argument.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old December 25, 2017, 08:52 AM   #9
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKexpat View Post
It was me, and after your post I saw the logic of your argument.

Jim

You ever get one?
Old December 25, 2017, 12:17 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

A blackpowder 22 cal pistol would not be even close to my top choices for a self-defense firearm. In fact, it's near the bottom near a rock or a stick.
Old December 25, 2017, 12:57 PM   #11
North East Redneck

I have a black powder Super Companion. It is not something I would use as a carry weapon.
Old December 25, 2017, 01:02 PM   #12
TruthTellers

I'm not saying it's my #1 choice for defense, I'm just saying I wouldn't be averse to using it for defense.

About the only gun I own that I would not trust my life to is a Cobray derringer I bought earlier this year for some reason that I can't remember. Wish I had spent the extra 200 and got a used Judge instead.
Old December 25, 2017, 01:47 PM   #13
noelf2

I had a super companion for about a month. I wasn't impressed with it at all. Picked it up at a gun show for $120. I traded it for a Leupold VX2 scope, which I really like.
Old December 26, 2017, 05:59 PM   #14
AKexpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
You ever get one?
No, sir. I thought better of it.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old December 26, 2017, 06:02 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

Between a Cobray, black powder and Judge for carry - the choice is NONE OF THEM!

Geez, folks - You can buy a decent J frame or 380 pretty easily nowadays. Why fool around with these?
Old December 28, 2017, 07:32 PM   #16
drobs

I'd like to have about 10 of them displayed in a circle on the wall.
As far as carrying 1 for CCW? Other than a backup to a back up - no thanks.

Few days ago I had my FN Hi Power in shoulder holster with 2 spare mags and my Ruger LC9S in an OWB holster plus a spare mag.

Find the shoulder holster wasn't helping relieve the tension in my neck from the past 8 months of working non-stop. Went back to a belt holster for my Hi Power.

I really miss the S&W 442 DAO 38spl I traded off for a S&W Shield. That gun disappeared in the pocket. Rather carry that and another gun than any NAA.

I will port around a c&b revolver on my land. Most likely have a LC9S in a pocket though.
Old December 28, 2017, 08:36 PM   #17
TruthTellers

Say what you will about relying on percussion caps for defense, but I've had more FTF's with .22 Mag in my NAA Minimaster than I have in .22 LR. As with any rimfire, you always run that risk.

Not saying percussion is more reliable, but I don't think it can be less reliable. This is just a theory, I'd really have to get my hands on a companion and try it to be sure. I just believe that with NAA's quality that the companions will work well.
Old December 30, 2017, 02:55 AM   #18
rodwhaincamo

My ROA has has absolutely no issues with maybe 400+ rounds after I found Rem #10's were what worked. My Pietta Remington NMA with those caps have had nearly as many non issues as I've used nothing but those caps. Since the change there have been no issues with them going off despite a full day's fire that can be up to 7 or 8 cylinders each. I trust mine.

And I've certainly had .22LR and .22 WMR shells not fire. I've also had feeding/ejecting issues with a .380 ACP. Ive certainly heard about piss poor primers. And then there are the potential auto feeder issues. According to writers nothing is 100% regardless, and nothing man made is.

However I'm one who has always believed in caliber. A .22 handgun just doesn't speak to me as something I'd want to use unless I were desperate. But then having a cloud of smoke is also a measure a desperation. There are better things one could use. I created WFN bullets for hunting with my BP revolvers. I'd trust them on a man/men if I absolutely needed to. They work well enough on game animals...
Old December 30, 2017, 07:05 AM   #19
ms6852

I use the NAA as a bug, but chambered in 22 magnum. I have shot hundreds of rounds of 22lr and 22 magnum using smokeless rounds. If the handle is to small you can get a custom handle for it.
http://revisioncv.com/catalog/1