The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 5, 2018, 12:42 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Anyone use the Bowen lanyard loops?

They are nice looking. Anyone install one?
http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/in...=index&cPath=7

I was looking for one to put on my survival woods gun, but ended up making one myself because their threading was the wrong size for my Ruger.

I figiure that a lanyard setup for hiking/survival would be good in case of a fall or being swept down a stream!LOL
Old January 5, 2018, 12:59 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

I took mine off.
Never liked the idea of a cord hanging around my neck that could snag on things.
Denis
Old January 5, 2018, 01:33 PM   #3
sharpe15

Not the Bowen, but Hogue Monogrips had a screw that would make a lanyard loop. I think you have to buy it as a replacement screw direct from Hogue. I have one on my Security Six.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:35 AM   #4
rodfac

Elmer Keith did a write-up on a lanyard ring one time many, many years ago, IIRC. Said it offered an additional means of support for off-hand shooting...you adjusted the loop to allow the lanyard to tighten as you extended the gun to firing position, two-handed grip. In use, you pushed forward against the loop's tension as I recall. Never tried it, and like Dennis, I'm not crazy about a loop of anything around my neck while woods loafing...same on horseback...pretty much any conveyance.

Stebbins & Bert Shay, writing in their 1960's tome, Pistols, a Modern Encyclopedia, write about lanyard use for those in remote regions where the loss of a sidearm could be a fatal mistake. It's a good book, and not only for this bit of trivia. It's well worth purchase if you ever find one. (Just checked: less than $6.00 on Amazon in paperback!)

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 6, 2018, 10:11 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

rod, I have used my lanyard like a rifle sling and it adds an incredible amount of support, whether in standing off hand or in kneeliing or sitting positions. For those long accurate shots it would be great.

While I understand the concern about having a cord near the neck, it's looped under the strong side arm, and with a slide you can adjust it so it can't come up around the neck and have the hazard of choking.

Of course every decision is somewhat a compromise, so the possibility of getting caught in brush must be weighed against the loss of the firearm. But I like the option of the lanyard for woods carry.

Thanks for the recommendations on the book, I will look for it!
Old January 6, 2018, 01:45 PM   #6
rodfac

Quote:
While I understand the concern about having a cord near the neck, it's looped under the strong side arm, and with a slide you can adjust it so it can't come up around the neck and have the hazard of choking.
Gothcha High Valley...interesting point. I'll have to rig up something to give the same effect...ie. a support of sorts. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 6, 2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

You could attach it to your belt......
Old January 6, 2018, 11:36 PM   #8
jhenry

It's a solution in search of a problem.
Old January 7, 2018, 12:01 AM   #9
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
It's a solution in search of a problem.
Have you ever been bucked off a horse?
Old January 7, 2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Andy Blozinski

"You could attach it to your belt......"

I really really wondered why some of you were making comments about attaching the lanyard to your neck.
Old January 7, 2018, 01:49 PM   #11
SIGSHR

I recall Jeff Cooper endorsing them, said it's incredibly difficult to take a gun away from someone it's attached to.
Old January 7, 2018, 10:04 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's a great strangle cord, inadvertently by you snagging it or intentionally by someone else grabbing it.
Denis
Old January 10, 2018, 06:14 PM   #13
tipoc

Lanyards on a handgun are very useful under some conditions. I won't bore you by giving examples.

If you have a fear of being choked by them don't wear them around your neck. Instead attach them to some other piece of your gear or clothing.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old January 10, 2018, 06:29 PM   #14
USMCGrunt

OK, this whole "lanyard around your neck" is some serious old-school line of thinking. Do they even make them anymore? Lanyards I've seen lately tend to be the telephone chord style that attaches to the belt. No idea how you would manage to strangle yourself with one.
Old January 10, 2018, 06:48 PM   #15
tipoc

Came in handy for me once while taking a bath...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrYtD7gSWsI

tipoc
Old January 11, 2018, 01:52 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

I can see me getting a lanyard tangled up in the seatbelt of my ATV on a quick exit, or in trying to get the gun out of the holster in a hurry.
I can see it getting caught in branches.
I can see it getting caught in numerous situations, and grabbed in others.
I won't give one a chance to do any of that.

The lanyard only has value in limited circumstances.
Those might include canoeing, which I don't do, mountain climbing, which I don't do, and sleeping in a tent, which I no longer do.

Canoeing to resist going over the side (just buy a good holster); cliff scaling to avoid a straight drop (buy a good holster), or instantly being able to locate your handgun if a bear or cat starts ripping through the tent wall at 2AM (actually one of the few valid uses for a lanyard).

Certainly no value in one around town.

You make your own choices.
I have no use for a lanyard.
Denis
Old January 11, 2018, 03:07 PM   #17
tipoc

Kordoniphobia (alternate, Schoiniphobia) is the clinical term for a fear of short cords or lanyards.

Denis' 3 posts in this thread raise the possibility of a clinical phobia. Lanyards on guns, flashlights, knives, etc. may inspire deep fear in some.

Alternately this could be an example of Megetemstuckuponstuffphobia or the fear of getting caught or trapped on branches, fences, wire clothes hangers, etc.

Possibly Kosmemophobia, the fear of things around your neck like a necklace or tie.

Or Kosmemyjobophobia the fear of being fired from your job for refusing to wear a tie, lanyard etc.

Oh well, at any rate professional help may be required.

tipoc
Old January 11, 2018, 03:12 PM   #18
HighValleyRanch

Possibly Kordaphobia!
Old January 11, 2018, 03:24 PM   #19
noelf2

Quote:
Came in handy for me once while taking a bath...
This thread had me thinking about Tuco also!
Old January 12, 2018, 04:09 AM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

Or possibly it may just be that I dislike cords dangling off my body because I HAVE gotten them caught on things in the past.

There's no need to take cheap shots on this.
I explained my personal preference & I said make your own choice.
I have not been sarcastic or derogatory towards anybody who does like the things.
Denis
Old January 12, 2018, 08:14 AM   #21
Prndll

A neck lanyard just wouldn't make much sense to me unless maybe it's something like an AR. That would be more about a way to visibly carry it throughout the day as a show of force, authority, and a 'ready-to-go' at any time kinda thing. Considering the weight of it anyway.

Belt lanyards would seem to be the better choice for most handguns but only for certain circumstances.

I always considered belt type lanyards to be kinda cool but I'm not sure I would ever really use them...maybe, maybe not. Leather would be somewhat nostalgic and nylon a bit tactical but the romantic in me likes the lanyard loop itself. Even if an actual lanyard is never attached.