The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 17, 2005, 10:56 AM   #26
PythonGuy

Exactly NRAhab,

Thats like that Tom (nutjob) Cruise movie where the police could see future crime with clairvoyants and just kill them BEFORE they even commited a crime. Eventually, we'll all be dead, perfect!

Last edited by PythonGuy; September 17, 2005 at 02:17 PM.
Old September 17, 2005, 11:26 AM   #27
SomeKid

Really funny.

I stated HOW I WOULD RULE IF I WAS ON A JURY and you people, most of whom are supposedly older and wiser start crying and whining and saying I advocated it, even when I clearly stated that I do not advocate doing it, because even I acknowledge you will go to prison for it.

Even the liberals I deal with at college can understand the difference between advocate, and tolerating/not having a problem with.
Old September 17, 2005, 01:33 PM   #28
308Enfield

Quote:
Even the liberals I deal with at college can understand the difference between advocate, and tolerating/not having a problem with.
Webster's dictionary defines tolerate as:

1. To allow without prohibiting or opposing; permit.
2. To recognize and respect (the rights, beliefs, or practices of others).
3. To put up with; endure. See Synonyms at bear1.
4. Medicine. To have tolerance for (a substance or pathogen).

So SomeKid, by your own words, while you do not advocate executing wounded, non-threatening people you do not prohibit or oppose it, you recognize and respect other people's right, belief or practice in doing it, and you willingly permit it? It still seems that you're voicing the opinion that street executions are ok with you. I doubt that many, if any, others on this board will agree with that.

Just to be precise, let's include the Thesaurus entry for tolerate:

abide, accept, admit, authorize, be big, bear, bear with, brook, condone, consent to, countenance, endure, go, have, hear, humor, indulge, live with, permit, pocket, receive, sanction, stand, stand for, stomach, string along, submit to, suffer, sustain, swallow, take, tough out, undergo, wink at

Last edited by 308Enfield; September 17, 2005 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old September 17, 2005, 03:35 PM   #29
SomeKid

308, let me run a scenario by you.

A man comes home, finds his 10 year old daughter being savagely raped by a gang of refugees from N.O., in front of the father they slit her throat, then when he produces his weapon, surrender.

He executes every one of them.

You are on the jury. What do you do?

I know what I would do.

Something you really may want to consider.

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...+nullification

As I stated, I do not encourage people to solve all their problems with 230 grains, but lets face it, sometimes it is appropriate, and sometimes the law is wrong. We have human juries for a reason.
Old September 17, 2005, 03:44 PM   #30
308Enfield

So we're completely changing the scenerio where the shooting occurrs? Good job, that really helps to support your initial argument. How about a vote? How many people approve of SomeKid's argument and how many do not agree?
Old September 17, 2005, 03:53 PM   #31
SomeKid

What completely change? We are talking about how one would vote on a jury. I am open about what I would do.

I specifically made that scenario for a reason. The thread starter might have been ganged, and if he was not killed outright, he might have gotten a front-row seat to his woman being raped.

Now I ask you again, if you were on the jury, what would your verdict be in regards to the hypo?
Old September 17, 2005, 04:11 PM   #32
PythonGuy

After seeing this pic of SomedumbKid, I don't think its fair to pick on him anymore, 308Enfield.

Old September 17, 2005, 05:30 PM   #33
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

I know the legalities and, in most circumstances, will follow those laws. In most circumstances. However, there are circumstances, such as the wounded, unthreatening man bleeding on the pavement just killed my mother, where I'm going to shoot as long as I see twitches.

People who don't want to be shot as many times as time and ammunition supply permits need to do one of two things: 1) Leave my friends and family in peace, or 2) make sure that I don't obtain a sight picture.

I'll respect the fact that MY assailant is wounded and no longer a threat in an attack on myself. After a successful assault on a friend or relative, resuliting in grave injury or death, I will have absolutely no regard for the fact that the poor assailant is injured, no longer a threat, and another human being. He won't be injured long. He'll never be a threat in the future. He doesn't fit my definition of "human being."

Personally, I'd like to see the self defense laws changed. I'm in favor of allowing legal lethal force in response to ANY unprovoked assault-whether armed or unarmed. I'd be willing to bet big money that the rate of unprovoked assaults would plummet after the bullies realized that a slap could get them shot to death-legally.
Closed Thread