The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 8, 2013, 03:26 PM   #26
Dragline45

Quote:
I also like the ziplock bag with silica packets. Right there in the shower. Take the gun out every 6 months to inspect, clean, oil, etc. Swap out the ammo.
I'll take my chances. I don't live in such constant fear that I need a gun within arms reach at every moment. My carry gun sitting on the hamper a few feet away will do me just fine. I am not against the idea to leave a designated gun in the bathroom, but in the actual shower is just too much IMO.

Last edited by Dragline45; November 8, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old November 8, 2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I don't live in such constant fear that I need a gun within arms reach at every moment.

Lol, no need to associate it with "fear" of anything. Actually, if it's that close you shouldn't be fearing anything at all anyways.

Once you go to one of the highest levels you can on a certain topic of "preparedness", you feel like when you don't do it like usual you have a guard down feeling.
Old November 8, 2013, 04:39 PM   #28
bikerbill

Our master bath has a small room with a door and a storage cabinet. It's where the toilet hides. I have kept a revolver in the cabinet for years; first a j-frame and then, when that was sold, a Ruger LCR in .22WMR ... I never saw any evidence of moisture damage to the j-frame and so far nothing visible on the Ruger. I shoot it often and keep it clean, oiled and in a leather holster. My only fear is being caught, so to speak, with my pants down and no protection. There's no downside, IMHO ...
Old November 8, 2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Trey45

In my bathroom I have a small table I keep reading materials on. It also has a DAO S&W Model 64-4 on it. It's been there for 3 years. No rust, no corrosion, no spots or stains. There's a reason I chose a Model 64-4 though, I can point shoot with a 4" K frame better than I can with literally any other handgun I own. If I'm sitting on the throne and I have to suddenly use the pistol I feel certain that "aiming" isn't going to be an option. The K frame lends itself very well to instinctive point shooting. At least for me. YMMV.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
Old November 8, 2013, 08:22 PM   #30
Jarl1

bathroom gun conversation ,...

I live in a state that is O.K.with open carry, and just signed into law recently the ccw . Our area of town has recently gotten increased burglery and breakins , My suggestion is to carry at home everywhere,even as you relax and watch TV in the evening,... being prepared is EVERYTHING.
Old November 8, 2013, 08:46 PM   #31
Bullcamp82834

Or in other words if I lived in a place where I had to give this kind of thought to arming myself to go take a poop or a shower I would surely move.
Old November 8, 2013, 08:59 PM   #32
Trey45

Right, because home invasions never occur in the country..... moving away from trouble doesn't work. Being prepared for it does.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:02 PM   #33
leadcounsel

Quote:
Or in other words if I lived in a place where I had to give this kind of thought to arming myself to go take a poop or a shower I would surely move.
People get killed in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and other 'nice' places just as they do in common-ville.

Being prepared makes you less likely to be a victim if/when lighting strikes.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:45 PM   #34
Sevens

33 posts ahead of mine and I've still not seen -one- mention of the item that is for me... key, and always will be.

Unsecured firearms in my home. Not my cup of tea. Sure, I don't wish to have one stolen in my absence, but the REAL problem I have with it is the small chance that an unsecured firearm in my home might be used against me.

I quit worry about this when I gained the license to carry. Now, there's always one unsecured firearm in my home, and it's on me. (unless friends are over, then we've got a number of them)

It's bad enough the chance exists that someone will enter your home with bad intentions. I don't want them to, I hope they arrive without a weapon of their own, but either way... I will not be furnishing them with one.

There's always one loaded handgun in any bathroom I'm in. It leaves with me.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:54 PM   #35
Justice06RR

At home, the shotgun is next to the bed and an AR15 in the closet inside the bathroom.

Check it every few months, clean/lube it, and rotate the ammo when you can. A sealed container as others have mentioned should work well also.
Old November 13, 2013, 09:33 AM   #36
FAS1

I doubt moisture will cause much of a problem since the air will dry out in just a little while after you shower. It's not a constant humid environment.

Personally, I don't like to keep any of my HD guns unsecured so something like this is what my preference would be.

While this is in a cabinet under a kitchen sink, you could do something similar in the bathroom if you have a cabinet under your vanity/sink.

I would take it a step further cut a hole in the cabinet floor so the safe would sit on the concrete floor underneath. Use concrete anchors to secure it and caulk and/or trim around the safe and opening for a professional looking install with the safe recessed in the cabinet floor. It would make it very hard to steal if you always will have the gun stored there.

Old November 13, 2013, 12:02 PM   #37
coldbeer

Has it really gotten to the point that we need a different gun for every room in the house? Just use some old beater because you'll probably never need to use it anyway.
Old November 13, 2013, 12:20 PM   #38
3.Shot.Group.

Someone has probably mentioned this already, but you could put the gun in a gun case with one of those moister absorbing packs if you're really worried about moister being a problem.

Realistically though, when I was in the military we carried our weapons in all sorts of humid/rainy environments, but rust was never an issue as long as we cleaned and lubed them every once in a while.

I'm having trouble getting my head around why someone would want to make their final stand in a bathroom though, unless your bathroom is bullet proof or you have a large enough window to make an escape through, a "final stand" is what it will be.

Last edited by 3.Shot.Group.; November 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old November 13, 2013, 04:19 PM   #39
lcpiper

I have a three pistols all within easy reach when I am at my desk, don't ask why, there is no more special reason then I like all of them and like to see them so that is where they sit. When I get up to go to the john, one comes with me and is my best friend while I read the newspaper or check stocks on my phone, or whatever else I am doing in the throne room. But I don't leave one in there.

My guns get used, cleaned, ammo shot and replaced, nothing stays unused so long that I have to worry about it rusting or failing to function.