The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1
ryans01z28

head stamp question

is there a head stamp to stay away form when reloading the 243 wssm? also where is a good place to buy about 1000 count
Old May 7, 2012, 07:34 PM   #2
ryans01z28

wow really 154 views and not one reply come on. is the question not clear?? im asking because i thought i read on here that some cases split easier than others or are not a strong.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I doubt that you can find any brand , other than Winchester ! I don't think any manufacturers are clamoring to load ammo for a dead cartridge .
Old May 8, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
ryans01z28

I found federal head stamp but wasn't sure if there were others. Why is a 243wssm a dead cartridge? U mean no one shoots this any more or what do u mean? We wanted to build this because it would make a good coyote, deer and elk gun and would shoot 1000yds
Old May 8, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
William T. Watts

Often it's not worth the trouble to try to use once fired cases because this round often opens the primer pocket on the initial firing so the case cannot be reloaded, finding cases that have leaked around the primer pocket is common. For this caliber if one wishes to load new case may be the only option open to you, If I find these cases at the range they go into my recycle bucket. I would purchase Winchester cases only for this round and would not load it full throttle. The factories is/are pushing WSM's not many people are buying.. William
Old May 8, 2012, 07:03 PM   #6
ryans01z28

Well out of 600 .223 wssm my buddy has reloaded never once has a primer fell out so I don't know how true ur statement is, I'm not calling u A lier or anything I'm just saying
Old May 8, 2012, 08:29 PM   #7
William T. Watts

Actually my response was both honest and truthful, the reasons I stated are the very reasons why I do not have one of them. If I wanted a magnum I would get a standard mag so I could buy ammo anywhere and reloading components would be plentyful no matter where I go. I would further suggest you be careful of the selection of the words you use when addressing another poster! William
Old May 8, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8
ryans01z28

What others selection of words? What did I say that Offended u? There was nothing offensive said
Old May 9, 2012, 06:35 PM   #9
dacaur

Quote:
wow really 154 views and not one reply come on. is the question not clear??
The question was fine, its your subject that was not clear. "head stamp question" is pretty vague, so of course people are going to click on it to see if they can help, only to find they have wasted their time as the question is indeed caliber specific, and to a fairly rare caliber to boot. Next time try mentioning the caliber in the subject and you will get more helpful views. Something like "243 WSSM head stamp question" would pull in people who shoot the caliber but wouldn't normally click a link out of curiosity, while at the same time keeping the rest of us who dont shoot it from wasting our time reading a question we have no way of answering...

For the record, I thought your post (#6) was rude too. The guy was trying to help, and you did pretty much call him a liar. Not a good way to get help in the future....
Old May 9, 2012, 07:56 PM   #10
oneoldsap

Whatchusay

I have to agree , you came as close as you could to calling him a liar without spelling it correctly ! I call a cartridge dead , when the company that introduced it , no longer chambers guns for it . The reason it died is because it couldn't do anything the .243 Win. won't do , plus they don't feed for crap . I have a good friend that has a .243 WSSM in a Browning A-Bolt , and he hates it . The magazine falls apart every time he takes it out of the rifle . So he has to use it like a blind magazine or a single shot ! He's been kicking himself in the butt ever since he traded his Ruger # 1 in .243 Win. for the Browning !
Old May 9, 2012, 10:58 PM   #11
AllenJ

Quote:
He's been kicking himself in the butt ever since he traded his Ruger # 1 in .243 Win. for the Browning
And he should be

I looked into the 243 WSSM prior to purchasing my last rifle. To tell the truth I just did not see the advantage to it when using heavy bullets to warrant the more expensive reloading cost and the feed issues I had heard about. If you like it though that is what counts and I think most of us are in love with a cartridge that others would not own. It should make an excellent coyote/deer round in my opinion.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
wncchester

The WSMs, WSSMs, RUMs, etc, were all marketed to appeal to the fad 'gimmick cartridge of the year buyers. They worked as hoped for too.

But Paul Mauser worked out the proper relationship between case diameter and length vs. acceptable action dimensions for excellant feeding about 120 years ago and his facts remain facts; no short fat cartridges need apply!
Old May 10, 2012, 10:48 PM   #13
dacaur

I wouldn't group the WSM's in with WSSM's. Getting 300win mag performance from a short action is nice (little less weight) plus you get rid of the win mag's belt which is good too....

The problems with feeding WSM's come from rifles converted from one caliber to a WSM. You are right about one thing, the mag and how it feeds is very important, more-so with short and fat cartridges. Thats why buying a new rifle in a WSM is much better than converting one, because you cant be sure a conversion will feed reliably till after the fact.... Another downside to the WSSM's....
Old May 11, 2012, 04:39 AM   #14
oneoldsap

Fads come and go . Things that work stay around much longer . The WSMs make some sence , the WSSMs make no sence ! JMHO