The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 27, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1
NFACurious

Firearm specific martial arts

This may not be specific to this forum but it was my best bet. I know what i saw came out of hollywood and probably was way to unrealistic to exhist in real life and is inhearently dangerous.

Moderators please move this post to where it belongs.

I recently saw the movie "equilibrium" with Christian Bale. Seems the writer of this movie thought of a new type of martial arts that specificially uses pistols. Has anyone seen anything like this in real life other than Krav Maga?

If you have seen this movie, what do you think its effectiveness would be in consideration that "every person in range of the bullet would be a hostile?"

As a disclaimer, if you watch this movie, do not try these moves, its hollywood and doesn't calculate for real life instances. No attempt to recreate these acts should be attempted even with careful consideration of bullet path.
Old February 27, 2005, 11:28 PM   #2
U.F.O.

You answered your own question in your disclaimer:
Quote:
"As a disclaimer, if you watch this movie, do not try these moves, its hollywood and doesn't calculate for real life instances. No attempt to recreate these acts should be attempted even with careful consideration of bullet path."
This has absolutely no bearing to CCW reality and should only be viewed as fiction. The shooting without looking sequences in that movie alone would land you dead or in jail.....for a long, long time.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old February 27, 2005, 11:33 PM   #3
NFACurious

Sorry.. I should have been more clear on what I was asking. I was more interested in responce on the sequences when the main character used the gun as a club and the blocking techniques of removeing the gun from the opponets hand/away from pointing at your body. I totally understand shooting unsighted (sorry for the religous reference) should be the 8th sin.
Old February 27, 2005, 11:42 PM   #4
U.F.O.

NFA, That movie was a great one, by the way. I think my wife is now in love with Christian Bale. However, the close in combat sequences were highly choreographed in the same vein as a Jet Li movie, for example. In a real life encounter you're probably going to be hard pressed to get off an accurate double tap, much less all the moves consistent with what they did in that movie. KISS usually works. At least for me. Best.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old February 27, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5
chris in va

I'm pretty fond of the Matrix when Trinity kicked the shotgun behind the guard.
Old February 28, 2005, 06:23 AM   #6
SNoB

This movie is even more far fetched than the matrix! instead of 1 shotgun, he spins around 2 soldiers shotguns and shoots them both at the same time! I was laughing the entire movie. My friend loves my improvised name for the "gun katta", I couldnt remember what it was called, or the name of the movie so I asked my friend "oh, that bullet-fu movie?".

And id like to see the rig that lets you allow 2 target sized pistols up your coat sleeves.