The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

Picking a starting bullet (300 RUM)

To my great surprise I not only found brass but also large magnum rifle primers right away and can start thinking seriously about load development in 300 RUM. I'm planing to load 180 gr to 3000 fps, right now only for paper punching at long distances.
I'm looking for suggestions on bullets to pick. Sierra Matchking seems a good start, but Lapua has a new 185 gr with a very nice BC, and I'm sure there are others out there.
Old December 8, 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
bullspotter

I like the barnes tsx in the 180 gr. Not sure on the BC but they shoot great, Barnes also has a long range bullet, (txr i think??) something about the balance of weight was ajusted for long range shooting. Im a little over the 3000 fps your looking for though. But love the barns out of my 300 RUM.
Old December 9, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

Thanks, I will check them out. As for the fps, that's the starting load for the powders I have, we will see where the development ends.