The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
steve4102

7MM-08 AI

I'm having my son's 7MM-08 chambered for an Ackley Improved. Shooting and reloading is his passion and he thinks it would be "kool", so I figured, what the hell.
So, any of you have a 7MM-08 AI and if so, any favorite loads and data you would like to share?
Please no lectures on the AI conversion. I know all about the cost vs velocity vs fireforming etc., etc. It's already done and now it's time to gather data.

Thanks
Steve
Old December 9, 2009, 02:20 AM   #2
B78-22250

kool

I have a 7-08 and love it beautiful little round and very efficient. It is standard 7-08 chambering and i have several loads in 120 and 140 that are sub moa. I also have a .280 AI in a rem sportsman 78. A cheeper rem 700 adl. It is tweeked a bit and I load 140 and 160's.With a tubb spring kit,shilen match ss barrel. bell and carlson stock.squared and blueprinted.bedded and free floated with a vx3 luppy it shoots. You will hear many opinions about doing a AI conversion. Fact is you can shoot any standard round in a AI chamber and have a fire formed case. Just neck size from there. True you will only gain a little more velocity and the critters that fall to it will not know the difference. Brass can be formed and or fitted to your chamber using several different cases using .473 case head dimension. Just be careful after you make this one for your son that you don't decide it's better suited to you.
Great choice I hope you and son are thrilled and both of you enjoy it.