The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2021, 02:01 AM   #26
BCR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
The Navy captain was at a loss for words until the pistol smith explained that the metal was too soft.
I thought kimber was the king of soft metal? And no, I don't own either brand or have a desire too.

Bill
Old July 19, 2021, 07:23 AM   #27
JustJake

Quote:
I thought kimber was the king of soft metal? And no, I don't own either brand or have a desire too.
Noop. Kimber is the King of MIM.

Hence why Kimber 1911s are referred to as MIMbers.
Old July 19, 2021, 03:48 PM   #28
Reloadron

I can't speak for others but I have a collection of Colt MK IV Series 70 guns. I am guessing about a dozen of them. Maybe 5 of them being Gold Cup NM and all of them shooters. They have all seen thousands of .45 ACP hard ball ammunition and none of them has suffered in the least using standard loads. I also run 230 grain Speer Gold Dot and 230 grain Hornady XTP through them and they function fine. I normally run with 17 to 18.5 recoil springs. Never a problem. Others mileage may vary.

I think (operative word think) the factory standard spring is a 16 Lb spring but not sure.

Ron
Old July 19, 2021, 05:24 PM   #29
Drm50

I bought a GC in 1972. At time I had connections for HB, free. For about 3 years I burnt nothing but GI HB and a lot of it. I didn’t even pick up the brass. Didn’t seem to hurt the gun. I did have some issues with the sight, nothing drastic.
Just couple days ago I shot up 100rds of HB out of 2 Commanders. Both made in 70s. One is stock, as far as running gears. The other has BoMar sights, National match barrel, aftermarket trigger and other refinements. The Bomars defeat the purpose of carry gun but that critter do shoot. First 2 shots off bags at 50’ were 6” at 12 o’clock, one holer. It focused in nice with HB. I’m a firm believer in HB for reliable function. No doubt cast WC will outshoot HB.
Old July 19, 2021, 07:22 PM   #30
Lavan

Drm50

Quote:
Just couple days ago I shot up 100rds of HB out of 2 Commanders. Both made in 70s. One is stock, as far as running gears. The other has BoMar sights, National match barrel, aftermarket trigger and other refinements. The Bomars defeat the purpose of carry gun but that critter do shoot. First 2 shots off bags at 50’ were 6” at 12 o’clock, one holer.
Did you change the recoil spring to 18 lbs? I notice yours were Commanders. I'm questioning full size Gold Cup.

Old July 19, 2021, 09:04 PM   #31
Drm50

The GC I bought new in 1972 never had much except HB through it. I don’t have a GC now. 2 series 70 MK 4s and 2 Comanders. I’ve not loaded much for 45acp.
I get around it by loading WCs in 45AR cases for revolvers. Price of ammo is going to force me to load apc.
Old July 20, 2021, 07:22 AM   #32
BCR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Noop. Kimber is the King of MIM.

Hence why Kimber 1911s are referred to as MIMbers.
Jake, I totally love it.

Bill
Old July 20, 2021, 05:07 PM   #33
Hanshi

I owned a Gold Cup for years until a devious friend bought it from me. Aaaarrgh....! I fired service level loads in it a lot and experienced no issues. It was a Series 70.
Old July 21, 2021, 02:54 PM   #34
micromontenegro

Back in the dark ages I shot zillions of hardball through the Gold Cup. Only ill effect: the stalked front sight fell down. A bit of silver solder fixed that.
Old August 11, 2021, 06:22 PM   #35
JB in SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfariswheel View Post
As above Colt used to (still) ships the Gold Cup with two springs, one for 185 grain lead Target ammo, and one for 230 grain hard ball.
The 230 grain spring is the standard 16 pound spring Colt uses on all Government Model size versions.

Back in the 1960's Skeeter Skelton did an article where he and friends shot 10,000 rounds each through an aluminum frame Commander and a Gold Cup.
This was in response to stories that neither was up to use with full charge ammo.

The Commander did get a small crack in a non-critical area of the frame.
Since then Colt has improved the aluminum they use.

The Gold Cup only appeared to be well broken in. There was no damage and only normal signs or wear from use.

If you shoot ammo over standard velocities you can try an 18 pound recoil spring.
A recoil buffer also may ease your mind, but with the correct spring 230 grain ammo isn't going to harm a Colt made after WWII.
My '72 Commander was still in perfect shape after at least 5,000 rounds or so. I shot hardball mostly but shot a lot of the old Speer 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter. The only thing I did was fit a BarSto match barrel and change out the sights to the fixed high hardball sights (I want to say BoMar made the fixed sights but don't recall for sure). If properly sprung there's no reason to not shoot hardball through a Gold Cup.
Old August 13, 2021, 05:37 AM   #36
highpower3006

Quote:
Pre-Series 70 National Match had lightening cuts in the slide, and they were more likely to crack if used with full-power ammo.
Sort of correct, but not quite. Actually they still used the lightened slides up until partway through 1974. I have a Gold Cup that dates to that year (1974) serial number 70N18203 and it has the lightened slide. So it depends on when a Series 70 GC was made as to whether it has a lightened slide.