The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 5, 2021, 04:15 PM   #126
stagpanther

Quote:
WOW beautiful day and great shooting.

Stag email me the pictures so I can post them on the site.
Why thank you--I really wasn't going to enter anything until I got the whole row--but OK--twist my arm .

Last edited by stagpanther; July 5, 2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old July 8, 2021, 05:37 PM   #127
MarkCO

Finally got to the range. Still dialing it in and I tried 3 kinds of ammo. Norma, CCI and SK, all standard velocity, none of it match grade. The SK did the best, so I adjusted the turrets a tad and had a go. 64 is not bad for a semi-auto. Yes it was indoors. I gave myself a par time of 30 seconds and beat it by about 10 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TS22 SK50.jpg (186.3 KB, 27 views)
Old July 8, 2021, 06:00 PM   #128
stagpanther

I detect a ringer. It takes me longer to set up just one shot. LOL I'm out of the game until I get a replacement magazine well, mine failed.You'll clear the next row easily too I bet--but the top row is challenging.
Old July 8, 2021, 06:08 PM   #129
MarkCO

My goal was ammo testing for long range today and confirming my zero. Next time I am taking some Eley Force and see what it does. It is 200 fps faster. Since I don't need subs shooting inside 100 yards, what the heck. I have thousands of rounds of the Force, just had not considered group it in this rifle.

I shot the SK at 100 yards. I needed 1.8 mils of elevation to center my group. It was 1.7" tall by 1" wide, 10 shots in 10 seconds. Backed down to 30 seconds and barely managed 1 MOA at 100.
Old July 10, 2021, 06:55 AM   #130
Mr.RevolverGuy

Man you fellas came in not kidding around. Mark and Stag I got your emails and pictures and your pages have gone up. Emailed you back. Nice shooting.
Old July 10, 2021, 07:07 AM   #131
stagpanther

Thanks RG--lucky for Mark my 457 went down giving him the chance to "clean 'em and weep" before I do.
Old July 10, 2021, 07:39 AM   #132
Mr.RevolverGuy

You fellas are hurting my pride and it is going to be a few weeks before I can get out.
Old July 10, 2021, 08:01 AM   #133
MarkCO

Four Semi-Autos, all with a Kidd barrel. Even though mine is a Tactical Solutions action, the barrel is a Kidd. A lot of CZs at the top as well.

Thanks for the Challenge Mr.Revolverguy. I know a few of my friends have downloaded the target as well. Shooting a long range centerfire match this weekend, but I'll have another chance to take the .22 out next week and try the middle row.
Old July 10, 2021, 08:33 AM   #134
Mr.RevolverGuy

I am thinking about a REP Your Squad Challenge.

Basically like we use to do in the Corps instead of individual score team scores.

CZ Squad
10/22 Squad
Anschutz Squad
Old Timer Squad -- Bolt Actions Older Than 20 Years.
Savage Squad
Lithgow Squad
Volquartsen Squad

Maybe a timed event and 50 yard event.
Old July 10, 2021, 09:35 AM   #135
stagpanther

How about a 100 yd challenge--give me a reason to work on those handloads you are also interested in.
Old July 10, 2021, 10:16 AM   #136
Mr.RevolverGuy

Sounds fun I think we can let me think about a target for it
Old July 10, 2021, 02:20 PM   #137
stagpanther

Quote:
Sounds fun I think we can let me think about a target for it
We can combine it with your team idea--except I have no option other than team CZ and or Lilja.
Old July 10, 2021, 05:34 PM   #138
hounddawg

Nice shooting Stag.

I am going to get beck out next week with the rimfires and play some more. I have 1000 rounds of SK PMS on the way from Creedmoor and want to shoot at the clubs next rimfire F Class match. I still have to play with the home grown tuner on my 452 American and still want to shoot a couple of the CZ matches over at Rimfire Central
Old July 10, 2021, 05:40 PM   #139
stagpanther

Thanks hounddawg, I thought I was getting close and then my mag well self destructed
Old July 11, 2021, 09:19 PM   #140
cdoc42

Mr. ReavolverGuy, I reviewed the original rules but nowhere do I see any limitation on the scope power. Is it anyone's choice?
Old July 12, 2021, 06:23 AM   #141
Mr.RevolverGuy

any scope power

As part of this the goal was as many participants as possible without people having to change much of anything it is about the FUN. Even virtual we can still get out and have a little fun.
Old July 22, 2021, 07:41 PM   #142
stagpanther

Trying to keep the enthusiasm up; for me it has gotten a bit hard after all the time and money I've put into it--but I'm not giving up!

I printed 10 targets today and continued to have problems getting beyond 3 good hits on the top row. I fluster easy, so while taking the shots if 1 missed I got kinda angry and just tacked another target over it--or just concentrated on grouping on one target dot to reaffirm that I still knew how to shoot. This tended to have a bit of negative reinforcement, not to mention eats up your printer paper supply--and expensive 22lr bullets--pretty quickly.

So I had an idea that instead of abandoning the target and going for another, I would just "backsweep" the dots I missed and score the best I could in as few as shots as possible. Here's my best "backsweep" where I hit the two I initially missed, so 7 shots to get all five. Somehow that makes the notion of getting all 5 eventually seem more attainable rather than starting over again at the end of 5 shots.

One of the interesting outcomes of my discovery of the joys of 22lr shooting--my rifle set-up is exceptionally sensitive to slightest variation of technique. It's the only rifle I've ever installed a trigger on that has less than 1.5 lb pull--and even at 8 ounces that seems quite heavy! It probably won't come as a surprise--but I found if I replicated everything precisely with each shot--the shot would hit almost exactly at the POA. If even the slightest variation in the trigger pull technique, pressure of cheek weld, change of weight distribution in the rests etc--then the following shot was absolutely not going to hit the POA. Another statistical curiosity--I can hit the 30 point dot more often than the 22 point dot. I haven't the slightest idea why that is.

On the subject of scope power--obviously I brought a bazooka to a knife fight in that respect with a 5 x 35 Leupold top tier scope, but what I found was even though I could zoom in with exceptional clarity on the target, as nice as it is the image was subject to shimmer and "dancing" at close range at the highest powers, all my best shots have been taken at 10x to 12 x power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5318.jpg (200.3 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; July 22, 2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old July 22, 2021, 10:15 PM   #143
jdc606

Good shooting Stag. Also nice seeing the challenge continue. Were you shooting your custom .22lr reloads during this latest attempt?
Old July 23, 2021, 02:54 AM   #144
stagpanther

thanks--I'm not doing any more work on the CURX reloads until I get my lilja barrel back--I've decided it's best to separate firing the lead bullets and the solid copper bullets in dedicated barrels.
Old July 23, 2021, 08:24 AM   #145
Bart B.

Stagpanther says "Another statistical curiosity--I can hit the 30 point dot more often than the 22 point dot. I haven't the slightest idea why that is."

Same reason a dinner plate is easier to hit than a pop bottle cap. But on a smaller scale.

Last edited by Bart B.; July 23, 2021 at 09:16 AM.
Old July 23, 2021, 09:40 AM   #146
stagpanther

Quote:
Same reason a dinner plate is easier to hit than a pop bottle cap. But on a smaller scale.
I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box--could you put that in terms of optical physics that makes it easier for me to understand?
Old July 23, 2021, 09:41 AM   #147
MarkCO

There is no understanding that. Just smile and shoot targets.
Old July 23, 2021, 11:45 AM   #148
stagpanther

Quote:
There is no understanding that. Just smile and shoot targets.
I was being serious--it is much easier for me to acquire and hold on the 22 point dot than the 30 one but for some reason I tend to hit the much smaller target dot more frequently than the bigger one--I'm wondering if some kind of focus adjustment would alleviate that if it's an optical phenomenon of some sort (?). Or maybe I'm just imagining things--won't be the first time.
Old July 23, 2021, 11:59 AM   #149
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I was being serious--it is much easier for me to acquire and hold on the 22 point dot than the 30 one but for some reason I tend to hit the much smaller target dot more frequently than the bigger one--I'm wondering if some kind of focus adjustment would alleviate that if it's an optical phenomenon of some sort (?). Or maybe I'm just imagining things--won't be the first time.
I might suspect some variation on natural point of aim might be involved.
For giggles try rotating the paper 90 degrees clockwise so the 30 is at the top and shoot down the page to the 22.

When I was competing in small-bore rifle where the targets had 10 bulls for score I found that the amount of movement shooting in the number sequence (across the target 1 2 3) was more work, especially when shooting prone, and lower scores than shooting the score bulls in column order (1 4 6 8) on the NRA A-17 or A-36 targets.
Old July 23, 2021, 12:16 PM   #150
stagpanther

Quote:
I might suspect some variation on natural point of aim might be involved.
For giggles try rotating the paper 90 degrees clockwise so the 30 is at the top and shoot down the page to the 22.

When I was competing in small-bore rifle where the targets had 10 bulls for score I found that the amount of movement shooting in the number sequence (across the target 1 2 3) was more work, especially when shooting prone, and lower scores than shooting the score bulls in column order (1 4 6 8) on the NRA A-17 or A-36 targets.
I thought about turning the target upside down--might try that--but 90 degrees I wouldn't do because even the slightest change in elevation would force an adjustment in sighting between each shot is what I've experienced shooting 22lr at 50 yds.