The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2019, 06:29 PM   #1
USAF Ret

Glock 23 - Good deal?

So, I was on post today and went by the AAFES outdoor store to pick up some ammunition. I browsed the gun case while I was waiting and noticed a new GEN 3 Glock 23 for $425. It was priced for their "Clear the Vault" sale. I opened an AAFES credit card and got an additional 10% off (with 12 months no interest), so out the door it was $382.50 (no sales tax on post). All I have ever owned is 9mm and a 1911 in .45. I shot a .40 a few years ago and thought it was a bit snappy on recoil, but I could just not turn this down. My gunsmith said dealer cost is $415. Hope I made a good choice. Any G23 owners out there want to weigh in on how they like them and how they shoot?
Old September 14, 2019, 07:20 PM   #2
lunger

Good deal. I have owned one for many years and paid more than that . It has been my every day carry until recently. Switched to a G43, but still carry mine on occasion.

Mine shoots accurate and reliable. The recoil of the 40 never been an issue for me. The great thing about the 23 is you can do a barrel switch and have a 9mm or a 357 sig
Old September 14, 2019, 08:42 PM   #3
JN01

I'm with Lunger, the G23 is a great triple caliber gun. 357 Sig works fine in the .40 magazines, but I prefer 9mm mags with the 9mm conversion barrel.
Old September 14, 2019, 09:25 PM   #4
L-2

For the OP:
The price is good, even normal, if someone qualifies for Glock's "Blue Label" pricing. Here's a link to one dealer who advertises its Blue Label pricing:
https://www.lcaction.com/guns/glock/...b2a55d0557dff2

The price is even better with no sales tax and if the charged amount is paid off in full to avoid any credit card interest charges. Also, the OP didn't have to drive anywhere else to shop for a Blue Label price. Who knows how far away a Blue Label dealer might be with a G23Gen3 in stock, and then end up paying sales tax, too (and no discount from signing up for a new charge card).

I couldn't tell from the OP if the subject G23Gen3 came with three 13-round mags. If so, then a good deal. If the gun didn't come with three 13-round mags, then figure in ~$25 for each 13-round mag wanted/needed.

If "buyer's remorse" is settling in, all things considered, the price paid is great. I like the G23Gen3 model. The OP got a great buy and did some good shopping
Old September 14, 2019, 09:47 PM   #5
J.G. Terry

Got a good deal on my G23.4 several years ago. I think you got a very good deal. I do have a OEM 358 SIG barrel. When all this mess started on the 40 the original barrel was reinstalled. 357 barrel went into the gun safe. Right, the 40 caliber mags work great for 357 SIG. I have been picking up G23 mags second hand for $10.00 at pawn shops.
Old September 14, 2019, 10:45 PM   #6
Quick1

Very seldom do I purchase guns in AAFES because their prices are normally not competitive, but some times you can catch a good deal...and I would say that is a great deal.

I have had a Glock 23 for many years, it is my bed side gun and sits in the night stand. But, I was no longer interested in keeping 40 ammo on hand so I converted it to a 9mm using a conversion barrel and changing out a few parts. Same gun, just in 9mm and it shoots great as always!
Old September 15, 2019, 07:05 AM   #7
USNRet93

Another good deal at a AAFES..wish the 2 or 3 big ones were closer..AFA, Pete Field and Ft Carson..It would be fun to wander thru there every once in a while..sales tax=$40-$45 alone.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old September 15, 2019, 08:11 AM   #8
COSteve

Good choice.

My carry piece for the last 14 years has been a 3rd gen G23 with Tru-Glo TFO's and a comp trigger spring. (Heavier, 6lb spring produces lighter trigger pull and tightens up the pull.) If you find it a bit snappy with 155 or 165grn ammo, try heavier 180grn ammo as it produces a less snappy recoil. I use 180grn Speer Gold Dots I handload to factory spec in mine and it's 100% reliable.

Last edited by COSteve; September 16, 2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old September 15, 2019, 08:42 AM   #9
USAF Ret

All good info, especially on the 9MM conversion. Is it barrel only?
Old September 15, 2019, 08:45 AM   #10
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Very seldom do I purchase guns in AAFES because their prices are normally not competitive, but some times you can catch a good deal...and I would say that is a great deal.

I have had a Glock 23 for many years, it is my bed side gun and sits in the night stand. But, I was no longer interested in keeping 40 ammo on hand so I converted it to a 9mm using a conversion barrel and changing out a few parts. Same gun, just in 9mm and it shoots great as always!
Same here on AAFES. They are pretty high priced compared to what you can find on the old interweb. But, now and again they have a crazy deal. I really was not looking to buy anything because I have other stuff I need to do, but I will use my wife's analogy...I didn't spend $383. I saved $125. Haha.
Old September 15, 2019, 01:57 PM   #11
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
All good info, especially on the 9MM conversion. Is it barrel only?
You will get differing opinions. A lot of people (myself included) have run the 23 using only a conversion barrel (mine is a Lonewolf) and 9mm magazine and have had zero issues.

Others say that even if it runs perfectly with just the conversion barrel/magazine, you should also change out the extractor and ejector if you intend to carry it for self defense.

YMMV
Old September 15, 2019, 09:08 PM   #12
Quick1

I wanted to be on the safe side so I went ahead and changed the extractor and ejector along with the barrel and magazine. I am also running a after market trigger and night sights.
Old September 16, 2019, 09:49 AM   #13
USAF Ret

Based on input, will probably not do the conversion. Cost and this will be a defense weapon. Still have my 9mm SIG. Thanks folks.
Old September 16, 2019, 10:09 AM   #14
COSteve

I've found that a simple swap of parts makes a large difference in trigger feel in that I've lightened the trigger and tookup both the slack and over travel. All with a simple, reliable swap of 2 parts. First, I use Lone Wolf Distributors' $15, 3.5 lb 't-bone' shaped connector HERE. I then swap out the stock 5 lb trigger spring for this $3, 6lb one HERE.

Together, they lighten up the trigger feel and more importantly, crisp up the trigger, removing most of the mushy feel of a stock Glock trigger. All without impacting on the reliability, simplicity, or stock appearance of the pistol. They are super reliable and flat work right without spending a ton on bling. So, for $18 total, you have a great Glock trigger. Is it as nice as my 1911's? No, but it's a big improvement and anyone can do it.
Old September 16, 2019, 06:12 PM   #15
JDBerg

You saved a good deal of money on the purchase of that G23. There are a lot of options for aftermarket sights and trigger packages which (IMHO) will really improve the way that pistol shoots.

I put the Vickers Elite / Wilson Combat blind rear battlesight and fiber optic front sight on my Gen3 17, and now the stock Glock sights aren’t good enough anymore. I also put an APEX Action Enhancement Kit on this Gen3 17 and now the stock Glock trigger doesn’t cut it anymore . In fact now I’m planning on putting the same sights & trigger combination on my Gen3 19.
Old September 17, 2019, 11:33 AM   #16
SGW Gunsmith

I'm very happy with my Model 23, don't regret its purchase one bit:

I also find that recoils is a bit "snappy", but the Pachmayr grip sleeve has made the recoil much more palatable.
Carrying it and two full magazines, in the Diamond D holster, after a while you hardly notice it's there:

Old September 17, 2019, 12:35 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
You saved a good deal of money on the purchase of that G23. There are a lot of options for aftermarket sights and trigger packages which (IMHO) will really improve the way that pistol shoots.

I put the Vickers Elite / Wilson Combat blind rear battlesight and fiber optic front sight on my Gen3 17, and now the stock Glock sights aren’t good enough anymore. I also put an APEX Action Enhancement Kit on this Gen3 17 and now the stock Glock trigger doesn’t cut it anymore . In fact now I’m planning on putting the same sights & trigger combination on my Gen3 19.
I take it you like those sights? I've strongly been considering trying them out. They seem like a good combination.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 17, 2019, 03:50 PM   #18
smee78

I think that was a very good price on a new gun, an extra 357Sig barrel would be a plus if you can find one on sale and can be used with only a barrel change. Makes a great addition when expanding your collection plus I personally enjoy 357Sig.
Old September 18, 2019, 07:16 AM   #19
USAF Ret

Thanks for all of the inputs on upgrades.
Old September 18, 2019, 01:27 PM   #20
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat:
I take it you like those (Vickers Elite Wilson Combat) sights? I've strongly been considering trying them out. They seem like a good combination.
I highly recommend these, the stock Glock sights were always just dovetail protectors anyway. I can’t go back to shooting the stock Glock sights on my Gen3 19, so this one is next in line for this upgrade. And if you don’t like the fiber optic front sight you can opt for the tritium front sight, which I might do myself for my 19.
Old September 18, 2019, 07:15 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
I highly recommend these, the stock Glock sights were always just dovetail protectors anyway. I can’t go back to shooting the stock Glock sights on my Gen3 19, so this one is next in line for this upgrade. And if you don’t like the fiber optic front sight you can opt for the tritium front sight, which I might do myself for my 19.
Yeah I like that they have a number of options for the front sight. I also like that they use a 0.125" wide front. I've used the same from Dawson and I find it's a great middle ground between the typical 0.140" defensive sights and the 0.100" target oriented sights.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk