The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 13, 2019, 09:51 AM   #26
Don Fischer

I am not even remotely a fan of the black rifle. So I saw the title to this and though, Colt hasn't marketed a rifle since the late 70's! Excuse my ignorance. That rifle they sold then was made by J.P. Sauer. Absolutely beautiful. Seem to me Colt has been going down hill for a long time. I can't recall the last time I saw a Colt firearm in a store. Till this thread I wasn't even sure they were still in business.
Old September 13, 2019, 09:56 AM   #27
Bartholomew Roberts

It just baffles me that Colt has manufactured some of the most popular American firearms ever designed and yet they can’t seem to profit off of it. Though to be fair, it seems like Colt losing exclusive rights to produce them is usually about where they became popular.
Old September 13, 2019, 04:34 PM   #28
Don Fischer

I'm a DA fan but truth is it seem's like today it's auto loaders in demand and I think all Colt makes is the 1911. That has to hurt. I wonder what sells most in auto loader's, 9mm or something bigger. I don't know that colt has ever made a 9mm. Resting on their laurels will destroy them. Many years ago I had a little auto loader in 22 RF, I think it was made by some company called Ace Looked exactly like a scaled down 1911! Even if colt could come out with something like that but a bit bigger it would have to be a plus. Just don't see the volume in DA or SA handguns like there used to be. Self defense pretty much killing them off.
Old September 13, 2019, 04:47 PM   #29
fourbore

Ruger sells revolvers like hot cakes. Single action and double action. I own quite a few. The colt revolvers are priced for the crazy rich collectors.