The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Bonzai

Boy do I need help

Well it took the better part of a day but I got it figured out and hopefully fixed!

I used to reload many years ago and decided to get going again. I pulled out my Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive press and set everything up except the primer tubes (they will be here on Friday). Anyway I was doing a dry run with just a case and seemed to be going well, but the expander die needed to be adjusted, well after I did that the shell in now stuck in the die and I cannot lower the press or even remove the die, the die will turn but will not come out, Please I really need help trying to figure this out. Once I have this sorted out I'll delve into the questions regarding my Lee press.
https://flic.kr/p/2h2hLe8
https://flic.kr/p/2h2gZRj

.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ),
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!

Last edited by Bonzai; August 20, 2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old August 20, 2019, 10:49 AM   #2
LeverGunFan

What cartridge, type and brand of die? Can you insert a hardwood dowel or brass rod from the top and tap the case out?
Old August 20, 2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Bonzai

.45 case using a Hornady die, Cant tap it out because I cannot lower the shell plate
Old August 20, 2019, 10:58 AM   #4
hounddawg

the most obvious solution is to pick up the phone and call Hornady

1 (800) 338-3220

just me but that is the first thing I do when I have a problems with mine, always received good advice and been sent replacement parts when I screwed up something
Old August 20, 2019, 11:51 AM   #5
74A95

This is the case mouth flaring die?

If so, maybe it just needs more muscle?

Unless - there is a problem with press itself. Then call Hornady.

It's hard to troubleshoot without know more details of what went wrong.
Old August 20, 2019, 12:24 PM   #6
Ike Clanton

I had this same problem except that I was able to get the shell plate released which left me with a stuck 308 case in the die which had to be pulled out via hydraulic press. All because I forgot to lube the case before resizing.
Old August 21, 2019, 06:32 AM   #7
Unique

Following. Not a Hornady press or die user but my pistol dies are carbide and need no lube.
Old August 21, 2019, 10:24 AM   #8
gwpercle

45 Colt , ACP , Super ....lots more 45's out there .
The less information you give the less accurate the answers will be ...details matter .
Gary
Old August 21, 2019, 03:34 PM   #9
reddog81

Spray it with WD-40 or something similar, wait a couple hours or more, than it should be easier. Or just muscle it out.

That looks like a LEE powder thru expander die. I generally avoid those like the plague because the seem to grab brass and not let go without a tug. I've replaced them with the RCBS style expanders.
Old August 22, 2019, 10:41 AM   #10
mikld

Put a brass rod down through the die. While applying force with the lever (downward) tap n the brass rod. Might have to squire some Kroil down in the die to help loosen things up.
Old August 22, 2019, 11:38 AM   #11
hounddawg

Why haven't you taken the shellholder off by loosening the allen screw through the hole in the center of the press. That way you could remove the die and put it in a vise to work on.

An alternative of course is leave the shellplate on and back the die out and let the threads do the work for you

Last edited by hounddawg; August 22, 2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old August 22, 2019, 01:04 PM   #12
Doyle

Quote:
An alternative of course is leave the shellplate on and back the die out and let the threads do the work for you
I did that once. Bent the lips of the base back making it harder to use a stuck-case extractor (which incidentally still didn't work and nether did a screw extractor with torch heat. Wound up having to toss away the sizing die with the stuck case still in it.)
Old August 22, 2019, 02:43 PM   #13
hounddawg

Quote:
I did that once. Bent the lips of the base back making it harder to use a stuck-case extractor (which incidentally still didn't work and nether did a screw extractor with torch heat. Wound up having to toss away the sizing die with the stuck case still in it.)
ouch still not sure why he just hasn't removed the shellplate though. It would be much easier to work on in a vise
Old August 25, 2019, 06:48 AM   #14
LE-28

Quote:
ouch still not sure why he just hasn't removed the shellplate though.
Yes, I would have also. He could go down through the top of the press and take the screw clear out, remove the shell plate and free up the press anyways.

The Hornady resizer, if it is like mine, is a one piece die and the plunger can't be taken out.
If that is what he is using he's in trouble with that die, especially if he rolled over the end of the mouth and jammed it in there.

I would be looking for a Lyman M-die to take it's place.