The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 2, 2015, 09:22 PM   #26
Coach Z

Welcome to the club

So have you decided what your next NFA item will be yet?
Old January 5, 2015, 03:18 PM   #27
el_chupo_

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltomatic

Note: although my last post indicates I submitted my paperwork in June, there was a problem on my part and in the end my application was not sent in until the middle of September and was apporved in only 3 moths (paper trust form 4).

Here's an update in case you are still undecided: My form 4 came back approved and I picked up my new Kodiak TL yesterday. First shot was out of my Savage fv-sr with CCI quiet ammo and I literally though the ammo FTF because there wasn't even a pop, just the click of the firing pin like it was a misfire, but sure enough it fired. I then tried CCI standard velocity and this time I could tell it fired, but all you hear is a faint pop, my marauder air rifle is louder.

Next I tried the same two ammo choices on a Walther p22. The quiet ammo was much louder due to the gun not being bolt action so you have action noise and blow back, and the standard was even louder, but both were still very quiet even though I was shooting from inside a cargo container (it was raining).

Overall, I could not believe the performance. I knew from reading online and hearing my friends shoot suppressors that it was quiet, but I had forgotten just how quiet it really is. On a bolt action rifle its just stupid, on a semi-auto pistol its probably the loudest it will ever be but is still Hollywood quiet.

Make sure you stock up on subsonic ammo. If its not specifically branded subsonic, check the velocity for yourself. Even though CCI makes "quiet" and "subsonic" brands, their standard velocity is subsonic in a pistol and subsonic most of the time in a rifle, I personally have not had one crack in a rifle but I also haven't shot much. Pretty much all of the more expensive "match" ammo will be subsonic even if its not listed, and even the high velocity (1200fps) ammo is usually going to be subsonic in a pistol

Next I want to try high velocity and stinger ammo with the can to see how hearing just the crack compares to an unsuppressed shot. I've heard conflicting reports of whether you get useful sound reduction when shooting supersonic, I'm guessing you do because I know the army issues suppressors for 5.56 rifles with the standard ammo and most people who shoot .223/5.56 suppressed probably aren't using subsonic since that would basically be a .22LR. I'll keep everyone updated.

The crack seems ridiculously loud compared to the SV stuff. Its still quiet, but that crack...

I wasnt using a bolt, but load up a 10/22 magazine with bulk/SV/bulk/SV/bulk/SV/bulk/SV etc and then just go shooting. Then go wild on standard velocity/subsonic ammo.