The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 24, 2012, 02:35 PM   #26
Panfisher

Back when I used to deer hunt a lot, before I let my wife and son carry the deer hunting load, I have taken many a nice nap in the woods, usually a nice cool day, with plenty of bright sunshine, find a nice spot at the base of a tree out of the wind and heck you just can't stay awake. I have even moved once because deer kep moving around and waking me up, once with a snort at close range that scared out of a years growth. It was then that I realized that being in the woods was much more important to me than hunting deer. Know I enjoy my wife's and sons excitement at taking a nice deer. After season I have been known to set in a deer stand with a .22 Rifle and play havoc with squirrels.
Old September 24, 2012, 04:04 PM   #27
tnelson31

I am a fan of the 20 minutes sit, 20 minutes stand, 20 minutes sleep method. I am a cat napper. I do not fidget when I sleep and I am very careful when I open my eyes. This is in a stand or on the ground.

Sometimes I walk about to cure the boredom.

I tried bringing my tablet to play games but the snow messed up the touch screen abilities<--wish I was joking.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:51 PM   #28
sc928porsche

For me its the meat (love the taste), the hike (scenery), the stalk (adrenalin), the shot (more adrenalin), the recovery ( I would never work that hard for anyone), and the camp companionship. If I don't get one, I get to try again the next day.