The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2011, 10:19 AM   #1
imq707s

Midstates Cast Bullets....good bullets?

In the past I've always ordered my .45acp lead bullets from Midwest Bullet Co. I'm getting ready to order another 1000, so I wanted to check around at some other companies this time. I found a place called Midstates Cast Bullets.....looks like I can get 1000 200gr .45acp lead bullets for around $54..shipping included. Midwest Bullet Co is $96 for the same thing.

That's a pretty big savings.....anyone else use bullets from Midstates Cast Bullets? How are they?

Thanks!
Old December 28, 2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Scimmia

I think you're looking at an old site. Check the "News" secion, they have a new site with updated products and prices.
Old December 28, 2011, 04:11 PM   #3
chris in va

They are $73 now. Shipping is $13 including insurance.

http://bulletsdirect.com/

For that price, I'd probably just get a Lee bottom pour and a mold, then scrounge some wheelweights. I've certainly saved quite a bit doing that.

Oh, and 'hard cast' isn't necessarily the best thing for 45acp. You want a softer bullet as the pressure is nearly half a 9mm or 40s&w.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:49 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That's a pretty big savings.....anyone else use bullets from Midstates Cast Bullets? How are they?
Chris provided the link to their current website and pricing.

I use their 122 gr LFP in 9mm Luger. It's consistent, sized properly, and dropped from a mold that isn't worn out (like some other places ).

I've been using that bullet for more than 3 years, and I've been quite satisfied. (Prior to that, I was using the same bullet, but from Silver State Cast Bullets; out of Nevada.)