The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 29, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Got a new place to shoot

Perhap y'all remember me whining about having to drive an hour back and forth to go shooting. I found a place that is an easy 45 minute drive in northern North Carolina. It backs up to the Great Dismal Swamp and is about 12 acres of almost completely wooded flatr land. It is owned by an acquaintence who only just recently found out I am looking for a place to shoot.

Drive back through about a quarter of a mile of trees.

The path opens to a cleaning about fifty to seventy five yards on a side.

Easy to get the truck in and out

Some of the passages are a little tight but the owner keeps it mowed. There are paths all through it.

I envy you guys who can just step out your back door and start blasting away. Forty five minutes may sound like a long drive but compared to an hour it is heaven. This morning I ran off about a hundred rounds and did not see or hear another soul. My kind of morning.
Old May 29, 2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Bill Akins

Glad you found a good shoot'n place Doc.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 30, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old May 29, 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Hardcase

It looks like a little slice of heaven, Doc!
Old May 29, 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

HC

Coupla months ago I was thinking about buying the plot next to this land. But the guy wanted a hundred thousand for it. It is not planted in trees, just cleared land. Nice to have someone else paying the mortgage.
Old May 29, 2011, 07:12 PM   #5
mykeal

What's behind the target frame?
Old May 29, 2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Trees

Trees and swamp for about ten miles.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:41 PM   #7
noelf2

Hey Doc keep 'em low. My daughter and son in law are environmental biologists and work in the Great Dismal Swamp.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:54 PM   #8
ClemBert

Kewl deal. Pretty place he has there.

The best part is that it is free and maintained by someone else.

My 12 acres has to be maintained by me. 6 months out of the year it sits in hay. But then again, it is too unbearably hot for me to shoot during those 6 months anyways.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:56 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Nice looking area Doc! Congrats on finding something closer. Looks like a great place to shoot or just sit back and appreciate the nature around you. Just don't let "the swamp thing" sneak up on you and drag you back into the swamp for lunch! Very nice area and thanks for sharing the great photos! Enjloy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 30, 2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Hawg

Looks like a good place to plant some winter grass and stick up a shootin house. Nice truck too.
Old May 30, 2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

BBB and Hawg

BBB,

I think I might have messed up. When I took the photos home and showed my wife, she started talking about going along and just sitting and reading while I shoot. That would be fine BUT it means she now has an excuse to expect to go to........you guessed it ........ church. Don't seem like much of a trade-off.

Hawg,

We are on the same track. I thought about asking the owner if I could put up a house and a bench. The owner and his wife shoot too so they might be happy to have it happen.