The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 4, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gun Show in Norfolk, VA

Not much of value at the gun show today. There was a relatively nice Navy Arms round barrel 1851 pattern. I never know what to call these. It is like a stell frame G&G with the barrel sawed off at five inches. It was in .44 caliber. Steel frame. That was 250.00. I was not interested so I did not haggle.

There was also an 1851 Sheriff's model in .44 steel frame. This pistol was whipped. Cylinder was from a different pistol. It was listed at 250.00 but was probably worth closer to 100.00

I wound up with a steel frame Rogers and Spencer from Euroarms made in 1980. I gave 175.00 for it. I believe it has not been fired but it has been handled. No box and no papers.

I ran a patch through the barrel and it came out absolutely spotless. All of the nipples come out of it with no trouble whatever. The loading lever retaining pin is snug but willingly comes out. The grips have some hangling marks. The bluing on the frame has aged to a nice brownish red color. I will post some photos as soon as my camera battery charges up.

I am pretty excited about this find because it is my first ever Rogers and Spencer. I may have paid a little too much but I wanted so I am happy.
Old September 4, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Hey Doc - congrats on your R & S find! It may be "older" but it sounds like it truly has "character". I don't think that you overpaid for it - I'd have probably paid that sight unseen just from your description. I have had a chance to examine and handle some originals over the years and it's an interesting revolver. At some point I'd like to have one. I hope you'll give us a range report after you try her out. I'd love to hear your comments on it as compared to loading, shooting, etc. a Colt or a Remy. Am anxious to see some photos of it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 4, 2010, 04:19 PM   #3
mykeal

Good buy at $175. I think you'll like it a lot. It's kind of an early ROA. Big, powerful, accurate. Need moderate to big hands. I think they're capable of handling 45 gr, but I've never used more than 40 in mine:
Old September 4, 2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

I see yours is a Euroarms as well

Anything peculiar about that importer?

Who was the manufacturer?

Pistol seems to be of pretty good quality.
Old September 4, 2010, 07:47 PM   #5
sltm1

Excellent find for a gun show nowadays and priced right too! It's an excellent and problemless shooter. I have one made in 93, I've put maybe 1000 rnds through it (both rb and 45lc w/ a conversion cylinder), and have never had any mechanical problems. Did of course, personalize it a bit...removed some bluing, dovetail front sight, amature action job and some Tombstone grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R&S.jpg (86.9 KB, 30 views)
Old September 4, 2010, 09:40 PM   #6
mykeal

Euroarms Italy is the manufacturer. Used to be called Armi San Paolo. Euroarms USA is the importer and owned by Euroarms Italy.
Old September 5, 2010, 04:22 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Thanks, Mykeal

Then this would be my second pistol made by ASP. The other is a white steel 1860. It is also of high quality.
Old September 5, 2010, 05:57 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Photos of Rogers and Spencer

Right side

On the left side photo you may be able to see that the top backstrap screw has been boogered up. I don't know why this happened. The screw moves easily. No damage to the threads or the threads in the frame. All of the other screws appear to be untouched.

The photo of the grips shows the most obvious fault in the pistol. Take a look at the area below the grip screw. Refinishing the grips will be my first repair on the pistol.

I have just got to get better at taking photos. I need the master the art of lighting.
Old September 5, 2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Slowhand

Rogers and Spencer

Great looking old piece, plus at a good price. With a little work, she's be a really nice addition to your collection. I'm always looking at a new addition to the collection.
Old September 5, 2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Hardcase

That's a fine looking revolver, Doc, and something a little different from our usual collections of Colt and Remington variations. I think that you got a good deal, too.
Old September 5, 2010, 03:40 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

Hardcase et al.

How about C.Robertson's find.

Pistol of identical description for 150.00. I shot it today and like it. Range report of sorts in in that thread that C.Robertson started about "Rogers and Spencer Revolver.