The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2010, 10:30 AM   #51
oneounceload

I've been fortunate enough in several places I have lived, to know some folks with some exceptional guns. H&H, AyA, FAMARS, Fabbri, Purdey, Boss, Arrietta, and on and on. While many are on my "If I win the lotto" dreamlist, I had the privilege of being able to at least shoot these. All I can say is "WOW". The small gauges like 20 and 28 were exquisite. Even looking past the engraving and wood, one could understand why these "Better" and "Best" guns costs what they do. The difference is night and day.

Not saying the other guns won't work or won't get the job done, but there is something to them that just "feels right"
Old January 5, 2010, 08:52 PM   #52
Jack O'Conner

I've had very good luck with this Ithaca 66 in 20 gauge. Dozens of ring neck pheasants have been felled with plain high base #6 ammo. This single shot shotgun was also offered in 12 gauge and is fairly easy to find on GunBroker.com The lever opens the action and launches the empty hull over your shoulder.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; January 5, 2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling error corrected
Old January 5, 2010, 11:04 PM   #53
johnwilliamson062

How do you see the bead on that gun Jack? I handled one at a lcal shop in decent shape and they only wanted $95 for it. I couldn't see the front bead over the hump on the receiver when I shouldered it though. The lever seemed cheap and I was afraid I might break it also.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 7, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old January 7, 2010, 03:58 PM   #54
Nevmavrick

The mainmost problem with an H&R is that the drop is so much that the d... thing recoils up against your face!!! The rearward recoil can be accepted, but that jump will bring tears to your eyes. I made a bet once with a Pard that I could shoot 25 straight with an H&R. After 20 shots I paid the $50 and walked off the field.(I didn't want the others to see me crying!)
H&R's can be loaded, put into the chicken coop, then, years later, at 2AM with a disturbance out there, ya go out and find a fox(skunk, weasel, or coyote) you can bet your bottom dollar that gun WILL fire.
A few years back H&R imported some O/U's from Portugal...I carry one for coyote calling. It sure was cheap, but shoots just fine. It has a LOT of "memories" all over the stock.
Mossberg and Remington both import inexpensive O/U's that make nice hunting guns, and disassemble quickly to put into the suitcase, or under the pickupseat.
You don't HAVE to put two shells in, I guess. The Mossberg is available in three different frames, and all gauges, and made in Turkey. The Remington is a Baikal.
Have fun,
Gene
Old January 10, 2010, 01:40 AM   #55
relee

That single-shot Ithaca brings back memories....it was my first shotgun and fit me well, a natural pointer... you could wait till the birds lined up and get a 2-fer. I traded it on a pump that didn't fit so well and coulden't hit anything..sometimes you don't know what you got till its gone.

Bob
Old January 10, 2010, 06:12 PM   #56
DG45

I have an old Forehand Arms SS, made between its patent date of Feb. 1896 and the date the Forehand Arms Co. of Worcester, Mass. was sold in 1902.

I've already had this gun checked out by a competent gunsmith. The barrel is milled steel (i.e., it's not Damascus steel) and the chamber was measured and is 2 3/4 inch. Almost all bluing is gone from the gun metal but the few rust spots on the gun were easily eradicated by oiling and hand rubbing with very fine steel wool. The gunsmith said it's ok to shoot black powder shells and low powered smokeless loads made for "vintage" guns. I've ordered some 2 5/8 inch brass shotshells and intend to "roll my own".

I'm planning the full retro experience. I'm gonna get a shooting jacket with leather elbow patches, an Indiana Jones-style Fedora like my granddad used to wear in the 1940's, and a gun dog like his old Pointer named "Sam". Then I'm gonna go out for an old timey hunting experience and get myself some upland game birds.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:22 PM   #57
dahermit

Quote:
Looking for a light field gun of decent quality. Own a BT99 and an H&R.
The BT99 I owned was a "dedicated" Trap gun inasmuch as it did not have a safety. The lack of a safety makes it impractical for a field (hunting), gun.
Old January 13, 2010, 03:08 AM   #58
bamaranger

Win 37

The Win 37's were quality made, quality material shotguns, w/ better feel and pointability than most any single bbl. The rounded receiver, the full butt and forearm do much better than its competitors, now or then. They were mfg'd in the day when Win was still a leader, and the entire product line reflected it. Most, however, were used hard/abused, and a good one today is pricey.

But they are a classic, top end, working man's single bbl.
Old January 13, 2010, 07:58 AM   #59
darkgael

SS

I, too, have been toying with the idea of acquiring a 20 ga. single shot. It'd be the same kind of handicap that one accepts when hunting with a ML smoothbore fowler. One shot.
But that under six pound weight.......you could carry that all day, no problem.
Pete
Old January 16, 2010, 12:07 AM   #60
LollerCopter

ive shot a lot of break barrel single shot shotguns. they dont perform any differrent than any other of the same type, ever.

If you want to save money on the gun, get a rossi. About 150 bucks at MOST for a 12 guage. they might give u deals on things like a free .243 or .22 LR barrel for an extra 50 bucks, but i got the 20 guage / .22 LR barrel models and i gotta say, ive never shot a less accurate .22 LR than the rossi. but it works.

the frame i got was built around the 20 guage anyway. just dont get the youth model if u want to do anything more than hunt with it, cuz they weigh about 4 pounds and kick too hard.

hard to beat a rossi if ur not too technical about it though.

Got my rossi 20guage/22lr combo for 148 dollars at retail. and the 12 guages from my gun broker are about 125 dollars.
Old March 19, 2010, 08:30 AM   #61
dogngun

I just got an Iver Johnson Champion 12 ga, 30" single.

It's lost most of its finish - it was made in 1923-but it is solid as a rock, and I will take it small game hunting this fall.
It has cleaned up very well, and cost me all of $45. It's hard to believe the quality of the wood they used back then on a low priced gun.

mark
Old March 19, 2010, 12:07 PM   #62
darkgael

SS SG

Here's my old Savage 220. It still has all it's case coloring. The break open lever on the tang is still way over to the right. Hammerless.
Nice gun to take for a walk. Weighs well under seven pounds.
Pete
Old March 19, 2010, 07:25 PM   #63
OkieCruffler

Old thread, but I had to throw in a vote for the old Western Field SB-100B. I have one in 16 ga with a trimmed back barrel, used it for bunnies in the briars. It's hammerless, kinda. Internal hammer with a tang safety. Handles pretty quick.
Old March 19, 2010, 07:47 PM   #64
Mallard76

12 ga

Hands down the Winchester 37.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:29 PM   #65
TxGun

I know you've got an H&R. But get another one: the 10 gauge Turkey gun! It's an absolute beast. You'll love it! Perfect to train rookie snipe hunters. LOL.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:37 PM   #66
johnwilliamson062

I opened another thread announcing I purchased one of the Italian folders. It is REALLY rough and need some major work. The end of the barrel is where it is the worst and I plan to cut that off, so that is why I went with it.

The Italian style folders are perfect for what I wanted.