The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 20, 2017, 04:18 PM   #1
2damnold4this

Remington 700 sps

I've got a Remington 700 sps stainless in 308 that I use for casual target shooting and hunting but I'm not a fan of the stock which seems a bit flimsy. Are there any aftermarket stocks that you would recommend that would be appropriate for a hunting/target 700?
Old October 20, 2017, 04:54 PM   #2
RC20

Boyds makes a great line of stocks.

Their stock selector seems to be down right now.

I am partial to Thumbholes, they have both a Light Weight Hunter and a Target Varmint.

Their Pro Stock Varmint would also be a good choice (it has what I call the super grip which has a very good close to if not identical function as the Thumb Hole)

Those are laminated but you can get some really nice looking ones and they are as impervious to elements as the best composite stocks.
Old October 20, 2017, 05:46 PM   #3
hooligan1

Manners makes a few different styles you could look at, but theres a wait, and they are pricy, but the very best money can buy.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:01 PM   #4
jmr40

Budget?

In my opinion if you're going to change stocks then it may as well be an upgrade. Overall McMillan is the best deal on aftermarket stocks. A standard weight will run about $500. The Edge stock that is about 1/2 lb lighter and is about $600. I have 3 rifles in Edge stocks and have had others in the past. I bought all of mine used at no more than $450. If you look around in the classifieds in various hunting forums you'll find them if you are patient. People decide to sell a rifle, put the factory stock on it and sell the aftermarket stock separately. You get more money that way.

Manners, Brown Precision, High Tech Specialties, MPI, and probably a few others offer similar quality stocks at similar prices. But McMIllan's usually bolt right up with little or no fitting. Most of the others really need to have the final fitting done by a good gunsmith or send your rifle to the stock manufacturer.

The stock you have is as accurate as anything you can buy aftermarket. I've been down this road many times and have never seen an aftermarket stock improve accuracy. I don't spend money on an aftermarket stock hoping it will fix an inaccurate gun. If the rifle proves it'll shoot, then I might buy another stock because I like the look, feel, and the weight reduction.

If $500-$600 is more than you want to spend look at a B&C Medalist. Don't consider anything but the Medalist. They are heavier than I like (it'll actually add 1/4 lb or so to the weight of your rifle as is) and due to manufacturing methods tend to be chunky. But at under $300 are a decent stock. I sorta like them on a target of varmint rifle. Not my 1st choice on a rifle meant to be carried a lot.

I don't care for plywood stocks at all. They are HEAVY, (1/2-1 lb heavier than factory) and don't offer any advantages over the one you have now. They are no where near as stable in changing weather conditions as even a cheap synthetic, only slightly better than solid wood.

Winston Churchill
Old October 20, 2017, 07:54 PM   #5
OzeanJaeger

???????
Seriously? He said casual. He said a Rem 700. NOT some custom worked competition rifle on a Rem action.

You’re recommending stocks that START at $500...with no finish! Why not a JAE for twice what the rifle is worth?

I buy built rifles with these stocks. They’re not “casual” by any stretch of the imagination.

Magpul, Boyd’s, Bell and Carlson, Hogue, etc.

Decide on the style you want (there are hundreds) and go to a sporting goods store to try them out. You can get a nice one for under $300. Paying $1000 for a stock on that rifle is ridiculous.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:59 PM   #6
2damnold4this

This is some good advice.
Old October 20, 2017, 09:12 PM   #7
cw308

Put a HS Precision stock on your 700 an you have a 700P with a SS barrel.Just look at the Rem. 700P , rock solid stock.
Old October 20, 2017, 09:19 PM   #8
joed

I have an SPS VS Stainless. The day I brought the rifle home I ordered a B&C Medalist for it. Can't remember what I paid for it but think it was around $235. Bottom line, it's a great stock compared to what came on the rifle.
Old October 21, 2017, 06:18 AM   #9
eastbank

take the rifle and shoot it, I have several 700 sps,s and have found loads they like and they will shoot three shot 1-1.25 or better groups at 100 yards. I just bought a 700 sps in .260 for less than 500.00 new and am just starting to work with it with reloads, factory 140,s stay inside 2 inches at 100 yards(good scopes on all). eastbank.
Old October 21, 2017, 10:05 AM   #10
taylorce1

Like was asked and never mentioned what's the OP's budget? Casual means different things to different people, and a bargain stock may not be a bargain. I find with stocks you usually get what you pay for.

I have four rifles stocked in McMillan stocks, and like jmr40 I purchased all four secondhand. The most expensive being around $450 and the cheapest being $175 for a McMillan Winlite stock. I also have B&C and High Tech Specialties (now Legendary Arms Works) stocks on my rifles. While the latter two were cheaper to purchase they really weren't that much cheaper both costing nearly what a McMillian would.

The B&C is 2950 Mountain TI model installed on a M700 ADL .223 that cost me around $270 to buy. I knew it wasn't a drop in fit but I figured that I could handle the fitting. Well it had some issues that I couldn't correct with the tools I had so it went to a gunsmith to get fitted and $200 later I had the rifle back. So as you can see I was nearly $500 into a stock pretty easily.

The High Tech Specialties is the stock Mark Bansner designed, and is now sold under the Legendary Arms Works name. I bought this stock for $300, but it was unfinished and needed final fitting, bedding, glazing, and paint which cost me an additional $400. However, there wasn't really a better option for my rifle as it being a Mini Mauser my options were severely limited.

If you want a McMillan stock for a Remington M700 with out the McMillan price you might try Grayboe Stocks. Ryan McMillan and partner started Grayboe, they haven't expanded the line much and they only inlet for M700 rifles and all the stocks offered are less than $400.
They are much heavier than a lot of the McMillan line but they are about 2/3 the cost.

If you don't spend the money upfront, you usually pay for it on the back end correcting issues. But it isn't my money spend it how you like.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 21, 2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old October 21, 2017, 12:49 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

The SPS is an entry level M700. I don't think there is a commercial hunting rifle that has more aftermarket stuff in every possible price range than the M700.
However, like jmr40 says, what's your budget? The sky is literally the limit, but you need to shoot the thing first. Otherwise, you have no idea if anything you do improves anything.
If you're going to change stocks(Think Boyd's. They've changed their site and the programming monkies wrecked it. Doesn't work. Starting price for an SPS laminated stock is $129.) then you may as well glass bed the thing too. Buy an Acraglas kit at your local gun shop or Amazon and read the directions on the box.
Free floating the barrel(nothing touching the barrel from under the chamber area forward) does not guarantee anything, but since you're bedding anyway, try it. If accuracy doesn't improve or become consistent, putting a pressure point in isn't a big deal. Another "might as well"(Bob Vila taught me that one.) is changing the trigger. Think Timney. Starts at $145.96. Isn't totally necessary either though.
Then, after all that, you'll have to think about the ammo. If you're not reloading, you have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of it means nothing. Think 165 grain hunting bullets. The .308 loves the bullet weight and they'll kill any game in North America you care to hunt without excessive felt recoil. Be good enough for informal target shooting(that you need to do for hunting anyway), but 168 grain match bullets will shoot better. If you are reloading, use IMR4064.
Old October 21, 2017, 01:54 PM   #12
OzeanJaeger

That is good advice.
Old October 21, 2017, 02:44 PM   #13
2damnold4this

I've had this rifle for quite some time and it shoots great. I did put a Timney trigger in it last year and I have no complaints with the rifle's performance on game or the casual target shooting I do. I'm not trying to turn the rifle into a benchrest or tactical shooter.

There are two things I don't like about the factory stock. The forend is a bit flimsy and the recoil pad is a sticky mess. At the very least, I'm changing the recoil pad.

I hadn't thought much about budget but let's say less than $500.
Old October 21, 2017, 02:50 PM   #14
OzeanJaeger

For $500 you can almost have anything you want that’s production or Remington OEM. There are plenty that are true “drop-in” that float the barrel and won’t require smithing. I would stay away from wood. If you can’t live without it then you need to bed it (as described). I’d stick with a heavy hunting stock if that’s it’s primary purpose. Lots of good suggestions.
Old October 21, 2017, 06:21 PM   #15
RC20

Straight up Boyd's is like $125

Add extras (1" butt pad) various finishes, it goes up. My last one was $150 or some such.

Still beats a $500 stock all day long and holds up every bit as well.

No bedding needed (tang clearance on the Savages, have not done any others). Perfect fit. When I can get my act together, shoots sub 1/2 MOA

Looks better to.

Composites are , well composites.
Old October 21, 2017, 09:15 PM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
Straight up Boyd's is like $125

Add extras (1" butt pad) various finishes, it goes up. My last one was $150 or some such.

Still beats a $500 stock all day long and holds up every bit as well.
Body's stocks do serve a purpose, but they don't always beat a $500 stock. It's awful difficult to put together a sub 7lbs rifle with a Boyd's stock. I'll take my McMillan stocks over a Boyd's any day, plus they feel great in the hand.
Old October 21, 2017, 10:20 PM   #17
Troy800

Depending on your definition of casual target and hunting is.

If you are keeping the rifle stock and not looking for a ultra light weight rifle to pack through the mountans all day just get a boyds. It will add some weight but with a little work and bedding the action it will it will be solid and give great performance without breaking the bank. A boyds stock will need to be bedded to get a solid fit.

If you are wanting an ultralight rifle or building a high end rifle a better stock may be worth the extra money. McMillan is one of many high end stocks depending on the purpose you are tring to meet.
Old October 22, 2017, 09:16 AM   #18
eastbank

you can stiffen up the rem sps forend with accuglass if you think you need it, fill up the hollows in the forend below barrel level and it will add very little weight. I own several sps rem,s with syn stocks and all will shoot three shot 1-1.5 inch groups(good scopes are a must)at 100 yards with the loads I use for hunting. for long range shooting or hunting for me that is beyond 300 yards and I have rifles set up for that. shoot that sps, it will tell you what it likes and if you think a new stock is in order put one on it. but before I would put a 300-400 stock on a rifle I would just buy one with a factory satisfactory stock on it. eastbank