The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 17, 2017, 04:39 PM   #51
rodfac

The barrel length and most importantly, the grip length are about optimal for a larger sized CC weapon. If you can get used to the grip's 2x4 feel, and the trigger, the G19 or G23 are about perfect for CC carry.

That barrel length equates to a good inter-sight distance needed for engaging targets from 10-25 yds as and if necessity demands. And the grip length is easily concealed with a shirt tail out ward robe choice in most instances, from a OWB holster. As to triggers, I've yet to see a Glock trigger that precluded combat accuracy to at least 25 yds, and most were good far beyond that. (And I'm a died in the wool 1911 fan).

But if your daily clothing choices revolve around shower clogs, a tight fitting T shirt or wife beater, plus cargo jeans, then you might have a problem...otherwise, IMHO, your're good to go. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 17, 2017, 06:23 PM   #52
otasan

I like my G17.
Old October 18, 2017, 09:57 PM   #53
Doc Holliday 1950

Mrs.Doc’s baby brother is Spec Forces
& when I first discussed getting a
Pistol for SD/carry, all he said was
He carries the G19 & just said
Get the G19. Never regretted getting
It then or now.

Doc
Old October 19, 2017, 08:58 AM   #54
otasan

My G17 has been mostly faithful since my 1989 purchase. Right now it is on the way to Glock GA for some repair work (it turns out that dry-firing a G17 is not a good idea). In the mean time, I'll carry my Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45.
Old October 19, 2017, 05:29 PM   #55
Ricklin

Glock rocks

First I do not consider myself a Glock fan boy, nor any other brand.
It's often stated when considering a purchase of anything. Price, quality, service, pick two.
Price: Excellent pricing whether a civilian or a LEO.
Quality: Been packing mine for about ten years with thousands of rounds down the pipe, only issue was my crummy reloads it really helps to put powder in EVERY round.
Service: I know nothing of Glock warranty service as you just don't hear about people needing warranty service.

Esp. now that they have dropped the perfection BS from their advertising I find nothing to prevent my purchase of another Glock.

Yes they don't get any beauty awards. Function over form I suppose.

I chuckle a bit at the Ruger fanboys who rave about how great their service is.......it better be good given that it is likely you may need it for a brand new purchase. Hows about getting the guns right in the first place?
Old October 19, 2017, 06:52 PM   #56
FITASC

I have all three sizes of 9mm Glocks. I just saw this Wilson and - while VERY expensive - it sure looks very interesting:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc-x9/

G19 size and capacity with a 1911 trigger, hammer and external safety (for those who feel the need)

Sorry for the pic size - if someone knows how to easily resize, either let me know or have a Mod do it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 19, 2017, 07:03 PM   #57
Bartholomew Roberts

If you have seen the STI Costa VIP, it is about the same deal. Perfect size. 1911 trigger and reset. Great ergonomics. Lovely accuracy. The problem is at $2000 with $150 mags (that occasionally require tweaking) it is on the "budget" end of 2011s.

If Wilson can either increase reliability or reduce cost, they should be able to clean up in that market.

ETA: Well, I see they aren't going for the "reduce cost" angle.
Old October 20, 2017, 07:45 AM   #58
brian33x51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
You live in Jersey I’m in CO so 15 round mags are the legal limit, the 19 outsells the 17 by a wide margin everywhere especially here in CO. I can shoot my Gen3 19 about as well as my Gen 3 17, but these are both keepers.
In CO you can go to any LGS an buy a "mag kit" for you glock 17, etc. You have to go through the trouble of assembling the magazine yourself. And deal with whatever premium the lgs charges.
Old October 21, 2017, 06:40 PM   #59
otasan

The G19 certainly is a good seller for Glock.