The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 17, 2017, 12:52 PM   #51
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKG View Post
Now, I can't do anything to help with the restrictions or economics of your domicile. But it may be helpful to hear from living proof that sometimes longstanding prejudices are not in one's best interests.
Yes... “that is my fear”. Thanks for your advice...
Old October 17, 2017, 01:03 PM   #52
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
As per cost, are all polymer guns ludicrously overpriced in your region or is it just the striker guns?
All handguns are 2x to 4x USA MSRP. For some reason striker fired guns are the worst offenders. Want to hear something funny? The least over priced guns are sig legion, any tacops model, mk25 and it,s 1911s :-) not even 2x usa msrp
Old October 17, 2017, 01:04 PM   #53
Bachá

Thanks everyone for your answers...

How much do you feel your edc gun is a compromise (for those who feel that way)? How much of a compromise it is and why do you compromise?
Old October 18, 2017, 02:06 PM   #54
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Bachá wrote:
Want to hear something funny? The least over priced guns are sig legion, any tacops model, mk25 and it,s 1911s :-) not even 2x usa msrp ...
In that case, might as well get a fancy one!

Quote:
How much do you feel your edc gun is a compromise (for those who feel that way)? How much of a compromise it is and why do you compromise?
I think all EDC involves compromise in that firepower is limited to what you can comfortably carry and reasonably conceal on your person. I take this as the top limit. Then there is the second consideration of what you can comfortably shoot, or at least reliably control. I take that as the bottom limit. Those limits are largely determined by personal factors. Your ideal EDC choice will be somewhere within those limits.

The balance can be affected by things like local climate and regional clothing styles. I live in a part of the world where summers can be a humid 90 degrees Fahrenheit and winters can be a windy sub-zero. The upside of the latter is that it gets easy to carry a full-sized double-stack poly gun. So I have a few different guns in EDC rotation depending on time of year.
Old October 18, 2017, 07:51 PM   #55
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachá View Post
Well I am outside the us and have had only one gun, currently I don’t have any.

I have been looking around at all the models available to me with all the restrictions some of you know I have. There is my other thread explaining those restrictions:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=589401

I want to like polymer striker fired guns because:

- they are light weight
- same capacity in smaller lighter packages
- Easier to shoot (Iam told)

I don’t like them because:

- they are grossly overpriced in my country, typically 3 to 4x msrp
- I feel insecure with the lighter trigger.... I know it could a “training issue”. I carried with an empty chamber the first 2 months.
- they are ass ugly to my eyes
- I can’t get pass the fact that I M paying so much more money for a “plastic gun” than a metal one.

So as you see maybe only the trigger issue is a real issue... and i know it.

So when you make this kind of decisions, specially for edc items... do you “force yourself” to what is more practical or do you still find your subjectivity perception of the firearm getting in the way?
What nation are you in?
Old October 19, 2017, 05:23 AM   #56
drobs

You really ought to get rifle & a shotgun to go with your next pistol.

This way when you get tired of the handgun you won't be completely unarmed like you are now.
Old October 19, 2017, 06:23 AM   #57
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachá
Handguns are always a compromise. A good friend of mine likes to say "if I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'd go somewhere else. If I couldn't do that, I'd take a rifle . . . and friends with rifles." With that said, how much of a compromise depends on which pistol I carry (I have 3 carry pistols). I compromise from G19 with an extra mag all the way down to an LCR with no reload.

Why do I compromise? Because the guards at the courthouse get nervous when I get a rifle out of my car. Seriously, though, I compromise because I just cannot carry everything I could possibly need for every possible scenario. I compromise because I want a firearm for protection, but also know that I have to conceal it. Not only do I have to conceal it, but I go a lot of places where handguns are not allowed, so I have to put it on & take it off a couple of times per day.
Old October 19, 2017, 08:52 AM   #58
otasan

Save up your money and buy a Glock 17 of 19. They are certainly worth the $.
Old October 20, 2017, 01:56 AM   #59
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
What nation are you in?
I prefer not to tell :-)
Old October 20, 2017, 01:57 AM   #60
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post

The balance can be affected by things like local climate and regional clothing styles. I live in a part of the world where summers can be a humid 90 degrees Fahrenheit and winters can be a windy sub-zero. The upside of the latter is that it gets easy to carry a full-sized double-stack poly gun. So I have a few different guns in EDC rotation depending on time of year.
Great advice... thanks.
Old October 20, 2017, 01:58 AM   #61
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
You really ought to get rifle & a shotgun to go with your next pistol.

This way when you get tired of the handgun you won't be completely unarmed like you are now.
Holy crap... hadnt thought about that... you are so right... thanks :-S

I think I need an utilitarian, tool like, base handgun that I would never wanted to get rid off---
Old October 20, 2017, 02:00 AM   #62
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
Handguns are always a compromise. A good friend of mine likes to say "if I knew I was going to a gunfight, I'd go somewhere else. If I couldn't do that, I'd take a rifle . . . and friends with rifles." .
Pure wisdom... thanks...
Old October 20, 2017, 02:03 AM   #63
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
Save up your money and buy a Glock 17 of 19. They are certainly worth the $.
Thanks... I know they are worth it... it is just that I feel like a fool paying so much for them knowing the US MSRP, but... things are what they are right?

Luckly with each wave of guns entering the country I see glock going down in price each time.

I think I need a G19 and never sell it. Specially for what drobs said...!
Old October 20, 2017, 06:16 AM   #64
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachá
. . . .Luckly with each wave of guns entering the country I see glock going down in price each time.

I think I need a G19 and never sell it. Specially for what drobs said...!
I'm glad to hear that Glock prices are dropping. IMHO, a G19 or something comparable makes a lot of sense for you. By "comparable," I mean a polymer, mid-size, semi-auto pistol. I'm sure I've posted this a dozen times or more, but to my mind, that group of pistols is the best value out there in terms of pure versatility for the dollar. If you're limited by finances or laws as to how many you can own, that's the group to look at.
Old October 20, 2017, 10:41 AM   #65
drobs

Is there a used gun market in your country? I buy the majority of my guns used. Good way to save $ off the price of paying retail or whatever market price is on new guns.

I primarily CCW 2 types of handguns - either a Glock 19 or a FN Hi Power.
I'm playing with some pocket pistols S&W Shield and Ruger LC9S. I traded off my Glock 26 and find I miss it.

Really you ought try a Glock 19. It has a lot going for it - compact, reliable, accurate, light weight, and capacity. Learn the thumbs forward grip, the sight picture, and to ride the reset.

I spent 4 years in Iraq and have to say the Glock 19 was the 2nd most common handgun I saw. #1 being the M9 Beretta. All of the security contractors required their employees to be proficient with Glock.

Glock is one of the most commonly seen handguns in the world. If nothing else it would be good for you or anyone to become proficient in their use. Kind of like the AK47 and AR15.
Old October 23, 2017, 10:20 AM   #66
otasan

He won't tell us his country.
Old October 23, 2017, 10:39 AM   #67
drobs

I know what country he's from but I ain't telling.

I'm still curious about the used gun market. Are shotguns and rifles available used?

I seem to recall in our last conversation that 9x18 Makarov's were available and affordable? That might be one to keep in the collection.
Old October 23, 2017, 10:42 AM   #68
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
I know what country he's from but I ain't telling.

I'm still curious about the used gun market. Are shotguns and rifles available used?

I seem to recall in our last conversation that 9x18 Makarov's were available and affordable? That might be one to keep in the collection.
Probably Cuba.
Old October 23, 2017, 07:24 PM   #69
Prof Young

My experience with striker fired guns is that they are more finicky about ammo. The few I've had would shoot and then not shoot my reload. No hammer fired gun I have has ever done that.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 25, 2017, 06:11 PM   #70
Bachá

Yes... I prefer not to reaveal where I am from for safety issues.

There are used guns in here... But, with gun registration being what it is... its a long and costly process to buy a used gun.

That means that the seller losses a lot of money, so while legal, the used market is not that dynamic in here. I think there is also the fact that there are very few enthusiasts... so people tend to buy a gun and stick with it. Totally understandable when a gun costs 3x o more your monthly income...
Old October 25, 2017, 07:20 PM   #71
P-35HP

My favorites, IWI Jericho:

Jericho 941 PSL9 – Mid-Size Polymer Frame

Jericho 941 FS9 – Mid-Size Steel Frame

Once you try one (or both), most certainly will end up buy it on the spot.