The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1
djcantr

Arcus parts

I bought an Arcus 98DA last year. Shot it some and then moved on to competition shooting and it's sat in the safe for several months. The DA trigger is really gritty and heavy and even the SA trigger is gritty and heavier than I think it should be. I pulled it out of the safe today and decided to take it down all the way and take a look at the hammer, sear and trigger parts. Wow! They are very roughly machined. I wrapped some 800 grit sandpaper around a razor blade and lightly polished the sear and hammer engagement points. I was very careful and didn't polish much. Didn't come close to removing the machining marks, just smoothed it out a touch. I was afraid I'd change the function and safety of the parts of the hardening (if any) if I did too much.

I reassembled it and of course it's still heavy on the DA pull but it's not nearly as gritty. The SA pull probably dropped by 50%, though it's no 1911 trigger. That got me thinking. Can I just replace the hammer and sear with Hi-Power parts? If so, what else can I replace with Hi-Power parts? I'd like to try a lighter mainspring to lighten the trigger pull. This pistol will never be my main defense firearm so I'm not too concerned with dead nuts reliability, but it does need to be safe and reliable.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:26 PM   #2
tahunua001

if it's the 98DA(double action) probably few, if any of the parts are interchangeable with the hi power with the exception of the magazines(conflicting reports on those). the 94 being SAO however would probably be able to share many parts...

this is all conjecture on my part however, I do not own an arcus or BHP though I have seriously considered the 98 several times.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3
carguychris

It's the 98DAC compact that takes BHP magazines. The 98DA (no "C") full-size takes proprietary mags.

I am not an expert on the Arcus 98-series nor the BHP, but it's my understanding that the designs share little in common other than the magazine in the DAC compact.
Old January 14, 2013, 12:15 AM   #4
djcantr

Thanks for the info. I feel dumb for not thinking about the DA/SA difference. I'll leave it as is for now and maybe if I can scrounge up some spare Arcus parts later I might do a little more trigger work with backup parts on hand in case I ruin them.