The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
ex811

Length of pull issues

Okay, I've tried searching for "length of pull" in various forums and it just doesn't work - so I'm going to ask this question. I'm almost certain that it's an "asked and answered" situation, but I can't find it. So, even if it's a link to a previous thread, that's fine - I just need some help here.

I have two shotguns that I bought used - so they are the way they are. The only real issue I have with them is that the stocks are too long - I can't square up with my target, which means that I get a lot of "slap" from the recoil because my body is bladed.

I know the stocks can be modified, but I have no idea who or what I should be looking for. I've been told that this isn't necessarily "gunsmith" work, but I don't know where else to look. Can anybody help me out here?

Many thanks in advance!

G
Old February 9, 2010, 12:35 PM   #2
zippy13

A little length of pull adjustment goes a long way. Are you looking for someone to do the actual cutting or someone to verify your proper stock size, or both?

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54l76JER3dY
Old February 9, 2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Doyle

Do you have a gun (or have access to one) where the length of pull is correct for you? If so, measure that length and cut off the stock of your newly acquired shotgun to match (allowing for the addition of the proper recoil pad of course). There is a good video on Youtube by Larry Potterfield on how to trim a stock and fit a recoil pad.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:38 PM   #4
jmr40

Length of pull is the distance from the trigger to the butt plate. You can shorten it by cutting the stock off shorter. Sometimes replacing the recoil pad with something not as thick can help. It can be a DIY project if you are handy with tools or if would be satisfied if it is not perfect.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:47 PM   #5
ex811

First off - thanks for all the replies!

The recoil "pad" of my 12ga is about 1/4"-thick, hard plastic. Not much "pad" to it. The other is actually my wife's gun and I haven't looked too closely at it.

I'll look at the Midway video (esp. since TWO people suggested it right off the bat) and see if it's something I feel confident doing.

Personally, I'd like to find someone who could measure my LOP and let me know what would be optimum. I have rifles that I can shoot with no issues, but the only shotgun that "feels" right has a 6-position, collapsible stock.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:04 PM   #6
oneounceload

There is far more to proper fit than just LOP - drop at heel, drop at comb, pitch,toe in or out, cast on or off, etc., all combine with proper LOP to make the gun fit and eliminate cheek slap.

A proper fitting can eliminate that when done by someone with a try gun. Unless you shoot as you tinker with the measurements, you might get it somewhat better, you might not.

Another factor in LOP is the angle of the grip - a more relaxed grip can allow you a longer LOP.

Do you shoot with a long or short pointing arm.

There are adjustable combs and recoil pads that can be installed and adjusted by the likes of Gracoil, GSquared, among many others if you choose to go that route. One advantage they have is that you can adjust LOP for summer vs. winter shooting - nice if you shoot year round with climate changes.
Old February 9, 2010, 02:12 PM   #7
ex811

Thanks One Ounce!

Now my question is - what type of person/shop/service do I look for in order to get properly fitted?

Thanks, again!
Old February 9, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
oneounceload

There's a gent on shotgunworld.com named Rollin Oswald. He is a fitter. He might know of someone in your area. Otherwise, ask around at your local clubs. Remember, a gunsmith is typically NOT a gun fitter, and this might cost you a few dollars. But once done, you'll have the measurements to get your guns tweaked to the correct dimensions. (Barring any major changes like a huge weight loss or gain).
Old February 9, 2010, 02:47 PM   #9
ex811

Excellent!!! Looking for a "gun fitter". Never even knew there was such a critter. But then, I didn't own a gun just over 4 years ago, so...

Thanks.
Old February 9, 2010, 07:41 PM   #10
lambertsteeth

May I ask, what kind of shotguns are they?
Old February 9, 2010, 11:33 PM   #11
ex811

Lambers,
One is an 870 Express, 12ga pump
One is a Franchi 48AL, 20ga autoloader

I didn't realize how much difference the proper LOP would make until I put a 6-position, collapsible stock on. It is amazing how much better it feels to have a shorter stock.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:38 PM   #12
lambertsteeth

I asked about the type of gun, because if it were really nice wood, you may not want to cut it, rather buy new wood to your preferred lop. Yeah, a good fitter will make you wonder how you ever shot before the fitting.
Good luck.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:41 PM   #13
ex811

Gotcha!

I think I've got less than $500 in both of them and the wood is pretty standard/common. Nothing I couldn't replace with a few dollars. Thanks for the heads-up, tho'.
Old February 10, 2010, 06:55 PM   #14
red caddy

I don't know your location, but if you ask around at your local trap and skeet club, some of the real dedicated trap or skeet shooters will, most likely, have a contact for a Fitter. Usually, they can be found at the large state or regional shoots put on with NSSA or ATA sanction. Don't overlook your local gunsmith, he may be a shotgunner with the requisite skills for fitting a gun to you, or, at least, the need to aquire a new skill to help you. I learned a great deal from a couple of those traveling guy's early in my carreer. Paul.