The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 3, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Martowski

Howa 1500 or Marlin X7VH?

I'm in the process of adding a couple items to my collection and the idea of a .308 bolt action rifle is in my mind. I'm looking for something with a heavy barrel, either 24" - 26". .308 is the caliber I'm currently reviewing, but may go with .30-06 since my M1 Garand supplies me with empties to reload.

Anyway, I just bought a Howa 1500 in .223 and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Seems like a nice gun, kind of disappointed the trigger isn't adjustable but not a huge deal. Never seen the Marlin but read great things about it. Like the adjustable trigger idea, not as big on the blind box magazine but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm not going for looks here; I'm going for something solid, dependable, and most importantly accurate. I've chosen these as they both come in heavy barrel variants, can be found under $400, and seem to get better reviews than the Mossberg, Savage Axis, or some of the other inexpensive bolt guns.

Which is your recommendation and why?
Old August 4, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

As I own both brands of said items I am more apt to seek the Howa over the Marlin, as I can speak of volumes on the heavy 24'' and the bolt is smooth and tight. As the quality of the Howa is in the upper rankings for QC is concerned and more available options for the Howa you can put a 10 rnd detachable mag either through legacy international or midway for under 100.00 and any other start around 349.00 although they are poylmier and not metal but I have not had any issues at all.
Old August 4, 2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Martowski

Well, I couldn't pass up a deal on a Savage 111 Hunter for $239 in used but excellent condition. So I went a little different direction than originally anticipated! Still in 30-06.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:30 PM   #4
NESHOOTER

Good for you... and you can not beat a 165gr sst hornady will please you greatly