The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 31, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Rifleman1776

new product brand

I just bought a set of scope rings for my Ruger Redhawk. What I bought, where I bought them and how I paid is sure to set off a firestorm here. Sorry, that is not my intention.
I bought the rings from Ebay. I didn't realize Ebay had changed it's policy to now allow sale of gun related items. That is good and the selection available there is huge.
I paid for them using Pay Pal. They now allow this also and that is good. I like the service and use it frequently. Not likely I would invite the owners of PP to my home for dinner, but I like the service.
Now, the rings. The brand is NC Star. I had never heard of this brand. A friend who works in a gun shop has never heard of it either.
The price was way-way under what Ruger made rings cost. ($22.95 and includes shipping) I suspect they may be China made. We will see when they arrive. I hope the quality is acceptable. The seller does take returns if I'm not satisfied.
Has anyone here any experience with NC Star products? I'm curious about this more affordable line of products.
Old April 1, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
JerryM

I buy a lot of things off ebay, and pay with Paypal. It is convenient and safe.
I don't know anything about those rings.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old April 2, 2012, 02:32 AM   #3
plumbercrack

Ncstar is your "competitively" priced brand. Made in China, distributed in California. I have had mixed results with their products. All I can say is keep the right allen wrenches or screwdriver with you to tighten any screws in the field.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4
chiefr

Concur, NC Star is made in China. I bought a NC Star spotting scope 30-60X a few years back at a gun show and never heard of them at the time. Paid around $90 for it. Not the best optics in the world, but will spot .22 holes @ 200 yards.
Old April 2, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Thanks for the info, guys.
Sad that so much good stuff has to come from China.
My woodworking shop is mostly Chinese made tools. I wouldn't have the shop if I had to pay for American made tools, I simply cannot afford them.
I'll report on the rings when they come.
Old April 5, 2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Rifleman1776

rings arrived

The NC Star rings arrived today. I can find nothing to fault. They seem sturdy and mounted just right on my Redhawk. The removable inset rings were a new experience. Without them 30mm scopes can be mounted, with them 1".
I cleaned all surfaces with acetone, rubbed a tiny bit of polishing rouge on all inside surfaces, set the scope in the did the usual sighting and resighting to make sure the crosshairs were not at an angle.
All in all, I have to report positively on the NC Star product. Price was very affordable.