The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2019, 02:48 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Precision Once Fired Brass - Report

Precision once fired brass http://www.precisiononcefiredbrass.com/

Has great prices for handgun brass. Under $20 per 1,000 for 9mm and 40SW. However, you will pay $12 to $18 per thousand for shipping, depending on your order. Their 45 ACP is $39.95 for 1,000, plus shipping, It is not cleaned, deprimed or processed in anyway. They often have 3 for price of 2 specials, you still pay shipping by weight. That special can cost you more for shipping than the cost of the brass. They are also sometimes out of stock of certain calibers.

I recently acquired a Glock 45, and needed 45 brass, so I bought 1,000, and also ordered a 1,000 of 40 SW. My shipping was $30. Here are my observations:

1. Its dirty and needs to be cleaned or tumbled (or both) before sorting by head-stamps (if you want to).
2. The 40SW was exactly as expected and looks like all recent production brass in good condition. After depriming and tumbling, I expect to load these as generic brass (not sorted) at mid-range plus loads. I am happy with the 40SW.
3. The 45 was very dirty and very mixed. It is hard to estimate how many are really once fired, but I will say at least half. I was able to separate out 250 S&B and 300 Winchester, and those cleaned up nicely. The S&B are difficult to deprime. I heard they had tight primer pockets.
The rest of the 45 were a mixed bag of Rem P., Federal, Blazer (brass), SIG, Hrtrs (Herters?), Cor-bon, Hornady, CBC. and some others. These look serviceable, and I will use these for target loads at ranges where I do not expect to keep the brass. Also, the 45 brass looked substantially dirtier than the 40 SW. I personally think the 45 includes brass from ammo reloaded with lead bullets, or otherwise more than once fired. One was split almost the entire length.
Then there were around 30 that were small primer 45, 45 GAP, 40 stuck inside a 45, or split/bent. They say they ship 1015. The 45 required more work than I hoped.

In summary, POFB is a low cost provider of 1K-3K lots of pistol brass. If you price other brass sources, you will realize that even with shipping charges, this may be the best value available for mixed range brass.
Old March 18, 2019, 06:52 PM   #2
RC20

I looked at what they had.

Mixed brass and FC is a common brass, I don't like FC so I would not buy it.

Not sure where the Precision part come in.
Old March 19, 2019, 04:35 PM   #3
PA-Joe

They should be able to send that in a flat rate box with no weight limit.
Old March 21, 2019, 07:22 AM   #4
rodfac

I don't trust any brass that's available on the net as I have no way of knowing its history. Is it truly once fired...if not, how many times has it been cycled? I buy new, unfired brass when it's time to replace. If you've ever had a case head let go, you know what I'm talking about. Best regards and be safe. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 23, 2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Quote:
They should be able to send that in a flat rate box with no weight limit.
Yes, that is what they do. I received two of the $15 flat rate boxes. Not so coincidentally, that was $30. There is no weight limit, but my order filled those two boxes. POFB may say they charge shipping by weight, but I think it is more accurate to say they charge by the VOLUME that will fit in the flat rate boxes. I just mailed a trade for $15 in one of those same boxes. The USPS will give you the box, but will not tape it for you. You do not want to buy strips of tape or standard roll of packing tape from USPS. I had to buy heavy duty packing tape (for the heavy box at Walmart).
I am not endorsing POFB. But they are cheap. Whether you want to deal with range brass is your decision. I was simply sharing my experience. Now that it is all cleaned, I do not want to deal with any range brass again anytime soon.
I also have NEW brass available.

Tags
40sw , 45 acp , 9mm , brass