The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2019, 01:17 PM   #1
markr

Lyman Spar T (Spartan) Turret Press

I have an old Lyman Spartan Turret Press. I'm searching for a primer catcher cup and the priming system that goes with this press. I know it's a long shot, but wondering if anyone knows where any of these items might be for sale, without the press? I've done the internet searches. I even had a hard time finding a link to a picture of one that wasn't expired. I found one with a picture below. I hope posting that link is OK. I tried posting a picture of one but couldn't get past the file size limitations. Any help is appreciated. There always gun shows.....

http://www.practicallyshooting.com/c...spar-t-for-10/

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 15, 2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

That was the first press I ever owned. I still have mine and its priming system, but not a separate priming system. My guess is, since the two were sold together, that it will be difficult to locate a separate set of parts. Keep watching eBay is all I can suggest.

That said, assuming you can't find a separate set, since the press holds a conventional shell holder in its ram, you can use a Lee Ram Prime, putting the nut in one die position on the turret. The primers have to be fed individually by hand, but the old concern about skin oil contamination has proven to be pretty much a wive's tale with modern primers, which are very difficult to cause failures in. So the only thing you would miss with this arrangement is the primer feed tube. But since that original tube had to be filled one primer at a time, too, I'm not clear there's a serious overall time penalty involved in priming singly with the Ram Prime.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 15, 2019, 06:13 PM   #3
rodfac

Have you tried contacting Lyman directly? They may have it, or know who now has Lyman parts for sale. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:27 PM   #4
markr

Unclenick: By separate I just mean available for sale without the press. I know its a long shot to find. Thank you for the Tip using the Lee Ram Prime. I'll more likely prime off the press. I'm more interested in the primer catch cup. On a side note, the sheer weight of the press, and the size of the giant nut on the turret is.....I don't know if this is the right word......."Amusing" compared to modern presses. In light of the sheer "Beefy-ness" of the press, the lever seems undersized in comparison. I've got it mounted but haven't run anything in it yet, but I've read that rifle is a little tougher in it probably due to lack of leverage. We shall see.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 16, 2019, 02:30 PM   #5
markr

rodfac: I have not contacted Lyman, but in my search I ran across another person who tried the same, for the same press, and with no joy. Thank you for your service.

Washed up 11B1P

Last edited by markr; March 16, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old March 16, 2019, 03:06 PM   #6
Marco Califo

https://www.lymanproducts.com/customer-service/
Consumer & Dealer Sales and Service:
800-225-9626
800-423-9704
860-632-2020
Fax:
860-632-1699
Old March 17, 2019, 11:16 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

The arm priming body is different, but I can tell you the primer tubes themselves look identical the ones in this kit sold by Lyman (can be found for less on eBay). So, if you can find the other parts, less the tubes, Lyman obviously still makes those. I'm wondering how hard it would be to copy, too, if you have any tool making skills. Not very, I suspect. I'll look at mine more closely when I have time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 20, 2019, 05:15 PM   #8
markr

Unclenick:

Ok thank you Sir. Let me know if you'd like to sell any part of it.

Washed up 11B1P