The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 3, 2021, 01:18 AM   #1
bamaranger

atta boy!, Skinner Sights

I elected to re-sight my Henry .22 lever, equipping it with a peep rear. I choose a Williams peep that was to fit on the scope dovetail grooves. Once installed, the rifle shot 7 inches high at 25 yds A taller front sight was in order. But alas, the front sight and magazine/barrel band on current Henry .22's are cast as one piece......no front sight dovetail to allow easy front sight (height) change.

Skinner Sights to the rescue. I forwarded the band/sight assembly to them. They milled off the cast front sight and cut a dovetail, then, based on my target measurements (7 inches high at 25yds) installed a steel blade front of correct height. Work was impeccable and reasonable in cost, and returned to me in timely fashion. The staffer that I conversed with was engaging and knew his stuff. Upon receiving same, I reattached the unit to my rifle, and shot groups at 25 and 50 yds. Perfection. Bullets impacted exactly atop the post at point of aim at 50, no adjustments for elevation needed.

I choose the Williams as it was a good bit cheaper than a Skinner rear. In the long run, I likely did not save very much money. Were I to do it over, I would look harder at the Skinners peeps, as they sell one that reportedly will work with the Henry factory, cast front....usually. But Skinner saved my project and I now have a useable .22 carbine that I can shoot well....enough
Old February 3, 2021, 02:29 AM   #2
stagpanther

Nice--it's always a magical mystery tour getting replacement sights fitted to a lever gun.
Old February 3, 2021, 09:24 AM   #3
Road_Clam

I have Skinners on my Henry as well. Excellent upgrade especially for ageing eyes.
Old February 3, 2021, 11:09 AM   #4
shortside

Skinner sights are the best solution to any equation that they can solve. They will go above and beyond, as it is in their nature to do so. What a great company! I love mine and have several. I'm a repeat customer for sure!
Old February 4, 2021, 12:47 AM   #5
bamaranger

aging eyes

Yeah....that would be me.
Old February 4, 2021, 06:03 PM   #6
Road_Clam

What I did was do a lot of testing at 50 , 100 , and 200 yds and was able to come up with a ideal front sight height to allow me to have a 50 yd zero , and then be able to raise the rear peep and be able to hit a 14" sq gong at 200 yds. I have an awesome mild "cowboy" load that is just so nice to shoot offhand. Just like a 1911, everyone needs to own a 30-30 Lever action !