The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 1, 2021, 08:03 AM   #1
polska

Lexington and Concord

I don't know why everyone keeps saying the British were coming to take our firearms because they were not. They were coming to take ball and powder. Interesting, sound familiar? Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
Old January 1, 2021, 09:08 AM   #2
mehavey

Yup... make ammunition unobtanium... and who needs guns control?
Old January 1, 2021, 09:09 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

A nice short summary of the event
https://www.battlefields.org/learn/r...on-and-concord
Old January 1, 2021, 10:32 AM   #4
mehavey

Am I reading the usual description wrong?
>
> "The Massachusetts militias had indeed been gathering
> a stock of weapons, powder, and supplies at Concord"
>
https://www.revolutionary-war.net/th...le-of-concord/
Old January 1, 2021, 11:14 AM   #5
Don P

Quote:
I don't know why everyone keeps saying the British were coming to take our firearms because they were not. They were coming to take ball and powder. Interesting, sound familiar? Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it
Why did they bury firearms then?

From the above posts link
Quote:
The British Gather Munitions in Concord
They came first to Colonel James foorett’s home, assuming that there was ammunition to be found in the home of the leader of the American militia. What they did not know was that Colonel foorett’s sons had previously plowed crops and buried the weapons there.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 1, 2021, 02:29 PM   #6
dontcatchmany

It ain't (Southern expression to show emphasis) what they are going to do, it is what we are going to do.

Seems as though the British did not get the ball and powder.

We just need to get some balls and keep Lady Liberty happy!
Old January 1, 2021, 05:15 PM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

Umm, the British Regulars were also looking for cannons the British Colonials had in their possession.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 1, 2021, 07:41 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

actually, they did not say the british were coming, as they were British. They said the red coats are coming. Modern day it would be similar to, the militay is coming.

I also understood it to be a cache of powder, bullets, and cannons.
Old January 1, 2021, 08:14 PM   #9
2damnold4this

Quote:
Seems as though the British did not get the ball and powder.
They did get some of the ball but not the way they wanted.
Old January 1, 2021, 08:53 PM   #10
dontcatchmany

2damnold4this

I stand correted....lol! Proudly!
Old January 1, 2021, 09:10 PM   #11
SIGSHR

The one account I read, said Paul Revere banged on the door of one acquaintance-at about 0100-when the man angrily demanded to why Revere was creating such a disturbance he said:
"You'll have your disturbance soon enough ! The Regulars are out !"
Old January 1, 2021, 10:15 PM   #12
TXAZ

If the colonials only had a dozen Accuracy International AICS bolts in .338 LM and a few thousand rounds each
It would have been interesting to see a rank and file infantry deal with leadership out of the picture....

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 1, 2021, 10:30 PM   #13
mehavey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_the_South
Old January 1, 2021, 10:38 PM   #14
roscoe

Lord.

What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?

Last edited by roscoe; January 1, 2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old January 2, 2021, 02:50 AM   #15
rickyrick

I just watched a documentary on this.

“The British are coming” is not a phrase that would have been used during that time, because they were all British then.

Most likely it was something like “the Regulars are coming”.
Old January 2, 2021, 10:22 AM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:
They did get some of the ball but not the way they wanted.
Worth repeating.
Old January 2, 2021, 02:36 PM   #17
reteach

Quote:
It would have been interesting to see a rank and file infantry deal with leadership out of the picture....
Many of the American militia were veterans of the French and Indian War. Some of them saw first hand the results in events like the Battle of the Monongahela, aka Braddock's Defeat, where the French and their Indian allies targeted British officers. The British casualties amounted to about 65% of their force, and many of those appear to be the result of the rank and file not having officers to organize and control them.

On the road back to Boston, after the fights at Lexington and Concord, the Americans fought from cover and targeted British officers, causing a lot of confusion among the British. The highest American casualties came at the end of the day when British reinforcements came out from Boston with artillery. The cannon caught Americans clumped together at long range.

The Americans did the same thing at the follow-up Battle of Bunker Hill (which took place on Breed's Hill). They targeted British officers. The British thought this was not at all sporting. The reason the Americans lost that fight was they couldn't move gunpowder up to their fortified position fast enough. They had to retreat, but the casualties were very lopsided, with the British having 55% to the Americans' 32%. Nathanael Greene said "I'd like to sell them another hill at the same price."
Old January 2, 2021, 03:06 PM   #18
mehavey

The casualty count was the highest suffered by the British in any single encounter during the entire war.
General Clinton, echoing Pyrrhus* of Epirus, remarked in his diary that

"A few more such victories would have shortly put an end to British dominion in America"

Ne ego si iterum eodem modo vicero, sine ullo milite Epirum revertar.
Old January 4, 2021, 04:34 AM   #19
shurshot

"I don't know why everyone keeps saying the British were coming to take our firearms because they were not. They were coming to take ball and powder. Interesting, sound familiar? Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it."(OP)

In the mid 80's, visiting family in Downeast Maine, my uncle showed me one MINT revolutionary war era flintlock rifle that he had. Several had been located beneath the floorboards of the town hall, hidden from the British back in the day. Flash forward to modern day; during reconstruction, the rifles were located, each of the Town selectman kept one, hence my Uncle getting his. It shined as it had been packed in some kind of grease, looked brand new. Powder and ball were located as well.
I'm pretty sure the rifles were hidden for a good reason... fear of confiscation. Don't believe everything you read.
Old January 4, 2021, 08:31 AM   #20
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
Most likely it was something like “the Regulars are coming”.
^^This^^

is correct.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 4, 2021, 09:39 AM   #21
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by polska View Post
I don't know why everyone keeps saying the British were coming to take our firearms because they were not. They were coming to take ball and powder. Interesting, sound familiar? Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it.
....is this some form of reference to a tin foil hat conspiracy, explaining the lack of availability of ammo and reloading components right now?
Old January 4, 2021, 07:23 PM   #22
Howland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Umm, the British Regulars were also looking for cannons the British Colonials had in their possession.
Correct! The primary objective of the mission was to seize the cannons and cannonballs. The powder and shot were secondary objectives. The militia had cannons. Artillery. Equal in quantity and quality to that of the British Army. And they considered it their right. The purpose was not for deer or duck hunting. The purpose was to provide a counterbalance to any standing army which would be anyone paid to carry a government gun.

I helped someone study for their citizenship naturalization test. The test asked, "What issue sparked the Revolutionary War?" The answer they were looking for was Taxes. Wrong. It was a gun confiscation raid. The test also asked, "What type of government did the Constitution establish?" They were counting Democracy as the correct answer. I don't think Republic was even one of the choices.
Old January 4, 2021, 11:36 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Do remember the times. There were "standing armies" in North America, Some 20 years before the Revolution the citizen's militia fought a war serving with British regulars against the French and their Indian allies.

The British army was in North America. The French Army was in North America, there were some Spanish troops in Florida, and there were also hostile and aggressive native peoples all of which could be a threat to the colonial citizens.

The various militias had cannon (as they could afford them) because there was a NEED for them. A real need, not just an imagined one.

as to this,
Quote:
"What issue sparked the Revolutionary War?" The answer they were looking for was Taxes. Wrong.
I believe the issue was taxes. Unfair taxes and other requirements all without colonial representation of any kind when the laws were passed in Parliment.

The incident that set things off was the gun confiscation raid.
Old January 5, 2021, 08:57 AM   #24
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howland View Post

The test asked, "What issue sparked the Revolutionary War?" The answer they were looking for was Taxes. Wrong.
In Grade school, the phrase beat into out head about the Revolutionary war was " No taxation without representation".
Old January 5, 2021, 09:57 AM   #25
mehavey

Taxes to pay for the French & Indians War, and to pay for troops thereafter to protect the frontier.
Taxes which the mercantile colonies (the Yankees) found to be an impediment
Taxes which lead to the Boston Tea Party
The Tea Party which led to the `74 Intolerable Acts (including taking away Mass self Gov't and closing Boston Harbor)
The Intolerable Acts which led to the 1st Continental Congress (`74)

From that point it spiralled.

So yes... it was Taxes which sparked the Revolution