The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old January 9, 2021, 11:32 AM   #26
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
I don't understand what you said there . As I read it you say two different things . 1gr only has a 46fps difference and .5gr has a 46fps difference . As someone that has chronoed many hundreds of rounds using IMR 4064 in a 308 shooting 168 through 200gr . Working up in .5gr increments . Your .5gr increment producing 46fps difference from the the last and the next is spot on . which also means 1gr difference is likely 92fps . Your ES will be that and that's going to be the best it can likely be .

That's what I've seen using 4064 through a chrono and is why I find my .4gr +/- throws unacceptable . My avg is more like +/- .25 but I've never thrown 15 times or so and didn't see that +/- .4gr come up . Obviously my Hornady powder measure is not as good as some others which I'm starting to see with most Hornady products . Good and in some cases pretty good but rarely top shelf products .
Basically +.5gr and -.5gr add up to a total possible variation of 1gr.
Old January 9, 2021, 01:34 PM   #27
Metal god

Quote:
Basically +.5gr and -.5gr add up to a total possible variation of 1gr.
Haha yes , my concern was the 46fps every 1gr was actually only half of what my test showed for 1 full grain . Because of my ES’s being so high , I feel I have no choice but to defer to the experts . I’m still skeptical that every .5gr the velocity only goes up 23fps-ish but have no conclusive data to say otherwise . I mean if I were to pull out all my notes from the last 10 years I might find something that supports my memory but I don't care enough to do that lol .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; January 9, 2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old January 26, 2021, 06:41 PM   #28
BobCat45

Just to close the loop; my original question is answered.

4064 behaves exactly like 4895 in my powder measures.

My friend did indeed have the IMR4064. I got it from him today, and tried it in the RCBS Uniflow and the Lee Perfect powder measures.

4064 was not happy in the Uniflow; it wanted to jam and cut, same as 4895.

In the Lee Perfect, 4064 metered evenly and without binding or seeming to cut, just like the 4895 did.

Threw ten trows in a beaker, weighed it, then threw ten individual throws weighing each one. All were within 0.2 grains of the average-of-ten and the extreme spread was about 0.3 grains.

Not enough measurements for statistics but it demonstrated to me that 4064 works as well in the Lee measure as 4895 does, which is all I wanted to know.

I haven't loaded or shot any yet. Need to prep some brass.
Old January 26, 2021, 11:20 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

since your loop is closed and your question answered, we'll close the thread.

Thanks for playing!

Come back with another thread when you have another question!
CLOSED.