The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 15, 2021, 10:01 AM   #26
oldmanFCSA

I use 3/4" thick AR500 steel from Shoot Steel .com for targets for my 50BMG and 338LM.
Do not shoot at ranges closer than 300 yards or you may damage steel face and NO AP rounds are allowed to shoot my steel. I leave them hanging at GRRC in Harris MN. No damage yet and members paint them often to better see at up to 1000 yards.

ALWAYS hang at a 15 degree angle from the top with chains or fire-hose. The 808 grain brass solids I shoot will toss the heavy target wildly so a good target frame is required to hold the impact.
NEVER use a flat plate supported at the sides or you may receive a projectile back at you!

Have FUN, be SAFE.
Old January 15, 2021, 07:29 PM   #27
cdoc42

Can you please describe the process that results in a chain or hose that holds a steel plate presenting a 15-degree angle as opposed to the natural inclination of a hanging object to assume a 90 degree position?
Old January 15, 2021, 07:34 PM   #28
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoc42 View Post
Can you please describe the process that results in a chain or hose that holds a steel plate presenting a 15-degree angle as opposed to the natural inclination of a hanging object to assume a 90 degree position?
Easy.
Large screw sticking out the back has the strap attached to it causing the center of gravity to move backwards enough to tilt the plate downward.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 16, 2021, 11:25 AM   #29
oldmanFCSA

Grade 5 or 8 bolt thru front, then washer, then nut, then large fender washer, fire-hose or chain, washer, and then locknut.

The space between back of plate and centerline of hanging material results in an angle backward at base of plate.

ENJOY, Have FUN, Be SAFE.
Old January 17, 2021, 02:46 PM   #30
cdoc42

Thank you both!!
Old January 20, 2021, 01:25 AM   #31
Frisco

I think of it this way...

I have been shooting competition for three decades, and in multiple disciplines. I have "seen some strange stuff" vis a vis ricochets and splash back hits on over the years. Even if the scenario is "highly unlikely", I will always "allow for the possibility" of some totally random galaxy defying "strange perfect storm of bad luck" to send metal back from the direction which it came.

I was shooting a TNS match at Rio Salado a few years back, and I was on Stage 1 and got hit in the left shin by what could only be explained as a double richochet from Stage 2. No, it wasn't a bad hit, mostly just a tiny bit of lead and some copper...but I bled like a stuck pig for a couple of minutes.

I wasn't "hurt"...just an owie that was handled by a bandage and I finished the match...but damned if it wasn't "one 'nem things".

So, if it's been debunked...cool. But I still allow for the possibility and like Norm "Always wear safety glasses".
Old January 23, 2021, 09:50 AM   #32
FireForged

I dont think it much matters if this scenario is real or not. Generally speaking, these sort of things do happen. They happen enough not to be considered "unbelievable". That said, I try to stay a far away as practicable in regards to the impact area of any fired projectiles.

Is this ricochet possible? probably