The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2021, 03:49 PM   #126
Metal god

Quote:
The crimp is not as deep as it should be. You want a rolled ring inside and a slightly lower star. Your looks like it will come loose.
OK , I'll see what I can do , it's a pretty firm crimp but not bottomed out on the press . I was worried about collapsing the legs on the wad . I'm assuming if I force the crimp more the wad flexing is what's going to give me the crimp I need ? Not sure how else I'm going to get the correct crimp with out changing powder .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 13, 2021, 04:20 PM   #127
Metal god

Ok here's what I get

Single pull of the final crimp bottoming out on the press . Interestingly I can push that point down with moderate force by hand .

This one was 3 pulls of the final crimp lowering it more each time until bottoming out also turning the shell each pull . This looks to be as good as it gets with these components .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 13, 2021, 06:20 PM   #128
peterg7

What’s your choke? With mod or full I get a nice 6-8” pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 13, 2021, 07:11 PM   #129
USSR

Suggestion: Try Remington STS/Gun Club hulls with the same load. That's what I use and I get nice crimps using the CB1114-12 (WAA12F114) wad. The AAHS hulls have just a little less internal capacity and that accounts for your less than stellar crimps.

Don
Old January 13, 2021, 08:44 PM   #130
Metal god

Quote:
What’s your choke? With mod or full I get a nice 6-8” pattern.
I don't know much about shotguns but don't think mine has a choke . It's a Mossberg 500 tac like the one below .

Old January 13, 2021, 09:02 PM   #131
Marco Califo

We used to call those riot guns and they were cylinder bore (no choke constriction). That photo does show something at the muzzle whete the barrel is larger. If you unload the gun and look into the muzzle, you may or may not see little notches at the end of the bore, there would be 4 equi-distant. Those are lugs for a choke wrench to unscrew. Most all waterfowl and sporting clays shotguns use choke tubes, and for steel shot you use one step less constriction than for lead.
If you dont see the 4 notches, you have cylinder bore only. Which is good for buckshot and slugs.
Edit: twist adjustable chokes do exist, but are uncommon

Last edited by Marco Califo; January 13, 2021 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Mention adjustable choke ends.
Old January 13, 2021, 09:13 PM   #132
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
I don't know much about shotguns but don't think mine has a choke . It's a Mossberg 500 tac like the one below .

25 yards will be pushing it then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 13, 2021, 09:19 PM   #133
FITASC

Ideally you want the top of the shell's crimp to be slightly recessed (NOT concave)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 13, 2021, 10:50 PM   #134
Metal god

Yeah this is called a Breacher barrel designed to breach doors , no groves or anything inside unless the muzzle device is screwed into where the choke would go . I did not see a seem in the bore , although it looks like a separate device . The bore looks seamlessly smooth to the muzzle . I guess you're supposed to be able to pound the muzzle at the door knob or hinge areas of doors to weaken them . When I bought it the whole gun just looked cool to me , still does and it's a 500 so it's going to work . I have another 500 that's bare bones minimal with a 20" barrel . As stated before I'm not a shotgun guy but every red blooded American should have a couple regardless

So you guys think those Remington hulls will allow the wad to sit a tad lower ? I found some instock (once fired) 1k for $36 . I'm ready to buy if that's really a good idea . I'll add the Hodgdon website suggest CCI 209M primers though . I might be able to find some locally but if not do I dare ask if the Win 209 primers I have will work ? I also noticed the Remington hulls data can take a full grain more of powder then the Win hulls .

Old January 14, 2021, 04:14 PM   #135
USSR

Yes, with the same amount of powder, the wad will sit slightly lower in the Rem hulls.

Don