The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 9, 2021, 12:27 PM   #26
Carl the Floor Walker

Recoil and grips are a individual thing. I do not find the Recoil harsh at all for the 642 and actually prefer the OEM grip. (I have a size large hand and wear a Xlarge glove)
Same with the LCR in 9mm which I prefer the Bantam Boot grip. IMO and what I have found is that when you do frequent shooting, there becomes a immunity to recoil, at least for me. I love range sessions with the Snubbies. Look forward to shooting them all the time. If a gun is uncomfortable to shoot at least a minimum of 200 rds per session, I do not want to own one. The 38 and 9mm Snubbie, no problem and totally fun to shoot.

You might also try this grip below. The recoil is reduced or not as snappy, but pushes the recoil into the palm of the hand. I can shoot either one, but the grip does change the point of aim and you would have to adjust to it. Does not conceal as well.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old January 19, 2021, 12:36 PM   #27
CorvZ061

I had a 642, with standard pressure 38 wadcutters it was enjoyable to shoot to me. My wife, who never went shooting before, saw it and thought it was small enough for her to maybe carry. She loved it, so much so she has taken it from me and keeps it in her purse.

I went and bought myself a 360, scandium frame 357 mag J frame. That 642 is like shooting a 22 by comparison. I’ve got 400 rounds down range of 357 mag so far, it’s still punishing but not unshootable, but definitely not suitable for a new shooter. It’ll flat turn them off from wanting to shoot period. Even shooting the same 38 special wadcutters is noticeably more uncomfortable. My wife tried to swap with me because the 360 is lighter, but after the first trip to the range with the same 38’s she changed her mind and went back to the 642.
Old January 19, 2021, 12:55 PM   #28
ThomasT

I agree with the ones who have suggested the 22 mag or 32 caliber guns. If you want less recoil its hard to beat the 32 long. Especially from one of the older steel framed S&W guns like the models 30 and 31. I have 3 of those with 2, 3 and 4" barrels plus a 431PD in 32 mag I keep loaded with 32 mag WC reduced loads.

For practice in my 442 I load a Lee 9mm 124gr TL bullet with 3grs of Bullseye powder and its like shooting a 22 and would make a good load for the recoil shy shooter. A lighter bullet makes a big difference in recoil on an Airweight gun like the 442 and 642. Triggers can be lightened and smoothed and a different grip may make the gun more suitable for your wife.

Here is a good video on the airweight 38s shooting 38 Colt ammo and how light the recoil is. And its still enough power to provide decent penetration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrgkaP7FjlM
Old January 19, 2021, 01:15 PM   #29
ms6852

I have the 642 air weight with crimson grips and it kicks like a mule, it hurts my palm and I carry a .357.
Old January 19, 2021, 05:49 PM   #30
JERRYS.

keep using the air weight, but change the load or MagNa-Port it.
Old January 19, 2021, 06:29 PM   #31
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I have the 642 air weight with crimson grips and it kicks like a mule, it hurts my palm and I carry a .357.
Which grip are you using?

Crimson Trace has 4 different lasergrips for the j-frame, ranging from the small hard plastic LG-105 to the big cushiony LG350 that I have.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 19, 2021, 09:42 PM   #32
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Which grip are you using?

Crimson Trace has 4 different lasergrips for the j-frame, ranging from the small hard plastic LG-105 to the big cushiony LG350 that I have.
I bought the LG 305 extended grips.
Old January 19, 2021, 10:55 PM   #33
Alan0354

I had the model 37 before, I did not find it particularly hard to shoot. I still have the model 36 that is the steel equivalent, I don't think there is a lot of difference.

Let's put it this way, I never felt there was any alarming difference to make me remember.

I won't shoot a lot of rounds with those little J frames. Even the steel 36, I won't try to put thousands of rounds through it. the metal is quite thin on the frame where the barrel screw onto the frame.
Old January 20, 2021, 09:18 AM   #34
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have an S&W 042 Centennial Airweight. With 125-135-gr. +P rounds it's not terrible, but it can get uncomfortable pretty quickly.

With standard velocity 158s it's a short shooting session. With 158-gr. LSWC HP +P FBI rounds?

Not something you want to do much of at all.

All of that was with rubber grips.

A few years ago, though, I switched to Hogue checkered rosewood since I pocket carry.

A LOT more uncomfortable to shoot. But still tolerable for a defensive gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 21, 2021, 05:45 PM   #35
rock185

Sigkid, FWIW several of the women in my extended family have 642 revolvers. I doubt they shoot them much, but have heard no complaints about recoil. I don't know what ammo they might be using. Loaded with +P ammo, the 642 does have noticeable recoil. But compared to shooting 9MM ammunition in my all steel S&W 940 revolver, the 642 is a pleasure. I don't feel much difference in recoil between the all steel 640, and the lighter alloy framed 642. I know that the heavier gun actually recoils less, but I guess we all perceive recoil differently. Some folks are apparently not bothered by heavy .44 Magnum or .454 Casull recoil, etc. I am no longer one of those

Reference the .22 Magnum Rimfire revolvers, in general the rimfires have stronger mainsprings to ensure reliability with the rimfire cartridges. A neighbor told me he bought his adult daughter a new Ruger LCR in .22 Magnum. She could not pull the trigger. He took the .22 Magnum back to the store and traded it for a new .38 Spcl. LCR. The 38 has a lighter factory mainspring, and she could fire it....
Old January 21, 2021, 06:52 PM   #36
Alan0354

My impression is it's really not the last oz of weight that makes the difference, it's the length of the barrel that makes the difference in the kick. Those snub nose are going to kick regardless of steel of aluminum.

I personally don't find kick is an issue, you just have to shoot more and get use to it. So it kicks!!! I practice a lot with .22LR, I don't feel any difference shooting 45, 9mm or .38. It's more psychological to me. Have your wife go shoot until she get used to the kick. My wife shot a lot, she had no problem shooting those snub nose, the subject never came up. You get used to it.

The issue is if you shoot a lot, the aluminum j frame is going to wear. It was obvious that opening and closing the cylinder wore a groove on the frame where the center rod of the cylinder scrapping on the frame to close the cylinder. Like I said before, the frame where the barrel screw onto the frame is very thin, I never feel comfortable with the model 37 air weight.
Old January 21, 2021, 07:07 PM   #37
Alan0354

Actually, these kind of snub nose is quite attractive if you think about it. In the age of semi-auto, you get small 380 or 9mm. But if you stop and think, even the polymer Glock 26 etc are not that small and not that light, These snub nose got to be the most reliable if you don't get into sand and soil( it the city life). You pull the trigger, you fire a shot. Small auto are not the most reliable particular if you are nervous and hand shaking. Those small auto are like 6 rounds, snub nose is 5 rounds......heavier 38 bullets. You can have speed loaders for snub nose also. Balance everything, snub nose is very attractive.

I was thinking about a Glock 26 or 43, but then I picked up my model 36, I said......For what?!!! I need to get some .38 bullets, that's what I really need. Of cause, I'd take my S&W model 659 9mm for self defense any time, it's 14 shots, big and reliable!!! But forget about conceal carry.
Old January 21, 2021, 08:13 PM   #38
Carmady

"My impression is it's really not the last oz of weight that makes the difference, it's the length of the barrel that makes the difference in the kick. Those snub nose are going to kick regardless of steel of aluminum."

I compared the kick/recoil of two .357s using ammo from the same box; a 39 oz 6" S&W Model 19 with the big wood factory grips, and a 23.5 oz 2 1/8" barrel S&W Model 60 with Uncle Mike's combat grips (which covered the backstrap). To me, the little snub was more user friendly regarding recoil, and I've always attributed that to the rubber? grips which covered the backstrap.

Less weight, shorter barrel, same ammo, UM grips.

Might have been the fixed sights.
Old January 22, 2021, 12:30 PM   #39
Carmady

Not an Airweight, but the man in the video mentions using rubber grips instead of the stock wood grips at

0:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO00nQ1dI5o
Old January 22, 2021, 05:32 PM   #40
Alan0354

I never try rubber grip, I can't say anything. I can only say about barrel length vs kick for standard wood butt. I used to have a Ruger .357mag that's only like about 2 1/2" barrel, it was a heavy gun over 30oz, it kicked really hard, compare with my Model 19 6", the kick is very light. My guess is for same barrel length, that Ruger was a heavier gun.

I have ( and still have) a Colt Trouper 8" barrel 357mag, that is a delight gun to shoot and very accurate. The kick is like a .22LR(of cause shooting .38 rounds). It's the length of the barrel that really make the difference IF they all have the same kind of wood butt.

Never looked into rubber butt, recoil is never an issue to me. Just saying

On the subject of Trouper, I wonder why isn't it more popular. It's a very good gun, DA pull is very short, much shorter than Python and all the S&W. I thing for DA fast shooting, short DA pull is very important.
Old January 22, 2021, 06:01 PM   #41
AK103K

The rubber boot grips make the Airweights the most comfortable to shoot for me, but they dont work as well as a set of Magnas and a T Grip for carry.

I have a 642 and shoot it a couple of times a month just to stay on top of it. Of all the handguns I shoot, its my least favorite to shoot. About all I can put up with anymore, is a box of 50 at an outing. My hand hates me for a couple of days after too.

The weight of the gun is the issue when it comes to perceived recoil. I shoot 2" K frame Model 10's, 2.5" 19 and 686, and a 3" 65 in 357mag regularly too, and I can shoot them with full power loads all day long with no problems. Same type grips as the 642, but the heavier steel frames suck up the energy a lot better, are much more controllable and pleasant to shoot with, and the guns are just easier overall to shoot with.

Id highly suggest you dont port anything. Ive had a couple of guns that were Mag Na Ported, and the negatives far outweigh any perceived positives. I saw no reduction at all in muzzle rise or felt recoil. The big flaming "V" is/was very impressive, but a distraction, and noting Id want to deal with if shooting from retention.
Old January 22, 2021, 06:05 PM   #42
Alan0354

Hi AK103K, what do you mean by port?

Funny, recoil never bugs me, so it kicks harder. My wife shot those little snub nose a lot, she never complain. She had a Charter Arm little snub nose. The weight is in between the model 36 and 37. She shot loose the gun!!! That's how much she shot with that snub nose, she never complained.
Old January 22, 2021, 06:36 PM   #43
AK103K

Porting is when they cut ports in the barrel to work like a comp.

This is one reason I dislike them. This is my 696 that was factory Mag Na Ported. What youre looking at is the result of a couple of cylinders full worth of LSWC's. Theres a red insert in there if you look.

Jacketed/plated bullets are better, but you still get a lot of fouling on the front sight.

Hold that gun in tight and fire from retention and you get the idea where the blast is going.

I dont generally mind recoil, but when youre shooting a lot, it does start to wear on you, especially when youre shooting guns that are meant for carry, and they have minimal grips.

You see a lot of 642's, 637's, ect, that have big, oversized grips on them, and I think thats why. Ive never understood making the guns bigger by doing that. If youre going to, might as well just get a bigger gun thats more shootable.

Ive pretty much quit carrying my 642 and replaced it with a Glock 26. A much more shootable gun with double, triple, plus the ammo, depending on the mag you use, realistic sights, and the gun shoots very much like the 17 it backs up.
Old January 22, 2021, 07:17 PM   #44
DMK

Quote:
I dont generally mind recoil, but when youre shooting a lot, it does start to wear on you, especially when youre shooting guns that are meant for carry, and they have minimal grips.

You see a lot of 642's, 637's, ect, that have big, oversized grips on them, and I think thats why. Ive never understood making the guns bigger by doing that. If youre going to, might as well just get a bigger gun thats more shootable.
I agree. I put the short boot grips on all my J-frames. If it can't fit in a pocket, what's it good for? But if I'm holster carrying, I go to a 9mm auto.

For pocket carry in jeans or cargo shorts, I've gone with the stainless steel frame 649 and 640 Pro. They are a lot easier to shoot accurately and the short boot grips made the draw reasonably quick with a consistent grip.
Old January 22, 2021, 09:42 PM   #45
Alan0354

One thing I said before already, when I come back to guns, I immediately think of Glock 26 type. But then when I dusted out my Model 36, it just dawn on me, Glock 26 is about the same weight of the Model 37 air weight that is about 15oz. Glock is 6 rounds, 37 is 5 rounds. I'll let you guys debate whether .38 is better than 9mm or not.

You are talking about ONE single round difference!!! They both are bulky anyway, the 37 is going to a mile more reliable than the Glock 26. Something about the size of the gun, you need the weight of the slide, the distance the slide travel to strip the round into the chamber........All in all, the bigger semi autos are more reliable than the tiny semi even if it's the same brand. A DA snub nose got to be the most reliable. You pull the trigger, unless the round miss fired, you are going to shoot.

Now, it would be a completely different story when talk about full size guns. I'll take a glock 19 any time of the day over any wheel gun. Now you are talking about 15, 17 rounds, bigger slide, more reliable and all.

I looked at my two snub noses, forget the Glock 26!!! Not to mention for women, they might have problem racking the slide.
Old January 22, 2021, 10:02 PM   #46
AK103K

The Glock 26 holds 10 rounds in the factory mag, and will also take any of the other mags in the 17 family including the 33 rounders. I normally carry a spare 17 mag for a reload with mine.

I have 4 of them, and they have all been very reliable, and just as reliable as my 17's and 19's. Unlike a lot of the other smaller autos, they shoot like a full sized gun, and at the same distances for the most part.

The slide on the 26 is no harder to rack than the others either. My sons girlfriend carries one and shoots it well. She's a little girl and has no trouble at all working or shooting it, and she's quite good with it.
Old January 23, 2021, 01:14 AM   #47
Alan0354

Sorry, I was thinking about Glock 43. That's more a fair comparison. 26 is bulkier and almost 22oz compares to the air weight of 16oz.

Ha, I might think about the 26 if I can find one as we are limited to 10 rounds mag in Kalifornia.

I am shopping for a 9mm medium size gun Glock 19 is high on my list.

Is 26 10+1 or just 10 total?
Old January 23, 2021, 02:34 AM   #48
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post

Is 26 10+1 or just 10 total?
Google is your friend.
Old January 23, 2021, 08:10 AM   #49
rodfac

My wife, DIL, and a niece all carry 637's, BUT...getting them to practice with carry loads is tough. They (and I, truth be told) do not like the heavy recoil. In a word, it's punishing...a combination of the heavy slap of the gun, and the muzzle blast from the 1-7/8" bbl.

I load light wadcutters for their practice sessions, and finish with a full cylinder of heavier LSWC's loaded to match their carry rounds. It's not ideal, so spare me, those of you who want to preach on the 'train as you'll fight' mantra, but our method sure beats having the ladies carry but never practicing.

My advise would be to get a heavier (read steel frame) gun for her, otherwise you may find she's acquired an expensive paper weight.

YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 23, 2021, 12:15 PM   #50
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I agree 100%.

Folks recommend these guns all the time for beginners or the casual CCW owner. It's usually a horrible recommendation. These guns take some serious dedication to practice and range time with the carry ammo. They are very difficult to control and shoot accurately.
This is true with any real "pocket" carry SD gun tho. Don't matter if it's a 642 or a LCP. Never will they be more comfortable to shoot than a full size 1911. As far as a "horrible" recommendation, I don't see them as such. Regardless of platform, any SD firearm is going to take "serious dedication to practice and range time with the carry ammo" to become proficient. What I do see as poor recommendations is telling those folks they need to use +p ammo in order for them to be lethal. This is what gets newbies and the occasional shooter flinching and closing their eyes when they shoot. Standard .38s were just fine for cops for decades and are still sufficient for SD when used accurately. Standard .38s, being much more pleasant to shoot make for a more accurate shooter and placement trumps power when one is talking COM. Telling folks they need "boutique" type ammo for SD is another mistake. While "boutique" ammo may be slightly more efficient for SD in .38, it's makes for pricey practice ammo. Thus most folks practice less. Again a standard 125 JHP put in COM will still be better than BB "Giant Killer" in the arm. Most folks don't need high capacity or +p+ ammo, they just need to practice more so their first shot counts. Doesn't matter if it's a 637 or a full size Glock.