The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2017, 07:49 AM   #1
ezmiraldo

help finding solid shotgun training in NY

hi folks!

a friend of mine and I need help finding some good shotgun training options in the communist state of NY (in particular, western NY). after a bit of googling, the only things I came up with were:

- https://www.defensiveshotgunwny.com/...nsive-shotgun-

- http://ironsightllc.com/practical-shotgun.html

the first place seems to be exclusively focused on defensive shotgun training – they offer several different shotgun training courses (instructor actually promises to refund your fee, if you are not happy?).

the second place offers one shotgun class, but they offer a bunch of bunch of different other classes, including edged weapons, concealed carry, etc; they also, seem to have a diverse team of pretty solid instructors (black belts in karate, judo, blauer spear system training grads, former leos, etc.).

any experience w. either place? also, are there any other schools in the Buffalo, NY; Erie, PA; Rochester, NY area that offer high-quality home-defense shotgun classes? thanks for your help, as always!
Old September 20, 2017, 07:10 AM   #2
ezmiraldo

No other shotgun training suggestions?
Old September 20, 2017, 08:50 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I live in NYS, actually WNY, and I've shot shotgun for many years. I also gave pistol permit courses in NY. I shot competitively for many years with three guns. I'm not aware of one place that teaches defensive shotgun. In my mind, if you're not getting into some type of three gun match, etc., taking a "defensive" shotgun course seems like a complete waste of time. If you know how to load and shoot the thing what else do you need to know? The police training academys teach shotgun as a tactical course, but they aren't open to the public. If you simply want to learn how to be a good shotgun shooter there are several really good instructors in WNY who can teach you how to become very proficient shooting a shotgun. You're not even very specific regarding what type of training you're looking for. If you simply want to learn how to shoot a shotgun well, repost and I'll give you some direction on where to get some help.
Old September 22, 2017, 06:45 AM   #4
ezmiraldo

We are looking for training specifically tailored to shotgun platform and home defense use scenarios. Thnx for the help, NSB.
Old September 22, 2017, 06:46 AM   #5
ezmiraldo

and on completely unrelated topic, who is Dave McCracken?
Old September 22, 2017, 07:46 AM   #6
FITASC

The former great moderator here who passed away from cancer.

To your main question, HD means defense, not offense. Have the gun loaded, get to a safe location, call 911, point it at the door and shoot any BGs trying to get to you to cause you harm. HD does not involve sweeping, clearing, or any other offensive maneuvers
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2017, 07:55 AM   #7
NoSecondBest

FITASC said it all. I really don't know what else you could be looking for. It's relatively uncomplicated defending yourself with a shotgun in your own home. If there's children in the home, keep the ammo in a secure location so an unfortunate accident doesn't happen. As far as "learning" shotgun, take the gun to a local sporting/shooting club and shoot a couple of rounds of skeet with it so you become familiar with how it loads and operates. You simply need to be able to load and shoot in a stressful situation. That's not the time to try to figure out how the thing works. It's also a lot of fun.

Tags
shotgun training