The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 25, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1
bbman25

finding a new op rod for a Garand, where should I look?

Hey all,

I need to get a new op rod for a garand. my dad got a project rifle off of an older guy in town, its pretty beat and the op rod is bent.

everything is solid and in working order, and it is safe to shoot when i swap the op rod out of my other garand onto it. All I need is a replacement that wont break the bank, meaning I dont want to be spending $150 on up for an op rod. Where should I check for one? Id be looking to spend maybe around $100, give or take a few.
Ebay hasnt helped me much, those are all pretty expensive after all the bidding. I have seen one on a site i use for other garand parts, but its $165.

Thanks for any help
Old February 25, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2
kraigwy

CMP forums.

Post your request here and somebody will offer one.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10

or

Look here

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 25, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Slamfire

Quote:
I need to get a new op rod for a garand. my dad got a project rifle off of an older guy in town, its pretty beat and the op rod is bent.

I don't know how you determined that, but it is normal for unfitted operating rods to drag. If that is your problem. Take a look at this page before dumping your operating rod:

http://www.garandgear.com/inspecting-your-m1-garand

If your rod is not tracking there are instructions on how to "fit" (bend) operating rods in The M1 Garand-M14 Shop Manual by Jerry Kuhnhausen

http://www.fulton-armory.com/them1m14shopmanual.aspx

Fitting operating rods is something that must be pondered well before making any bends. It is best to look, think, get a drink, look, think, ponder, look, think, fiddle with the operating rod, think. Sometime after you have really thought how to bend, you bend.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
my dad got a project rifle off of an older guy in town, its pretty beat and the op rod is bent.

Are you absolutely sure it's "bent?" The operating rod is supposed to have a little bit of a curve to it. It should not be perfectly straight.

As an example - this is what an op rod should look like. Note the very slight "S-curve" shape to the rod.

Old February 26, 2013, 04:55 PM   #5
bbman25

Thanks for the links everyone.

and yes, i am sure it is bent. when you pull it back, there is noticeable resistance with the action, also when closing the bolt, the bolt closes about 80% of the way and needs a little tap to close all the way, if i pull the action open a little, it will stay just where I leave it.

i compared it to my good op rod, and it does curve out a good bit more than it should.

I have also been pondering this: using an op rod from a 7.62 garand in the 30-06. i know it will fit, but will the rifle cycle correctly? the op rods for a 762 are about a half inch shorter, so the extra space could cause a problem in cycling I assume.
just something ive been wondering about.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Orlando

It is completely normal to have to bump the Op Rod to close on a round.
If rifle is functioning properly why replace it?
Have you preformed the Tilt test to see if rod is actually bent and rubs?
Search You Tube for "Garand tilt test"
If op ord is bent out of spec and you feel that it needs repaired even though rifle functions fine you can send it to Columbus Machine to be bent back to spec
They also rebuild tabs and replace pistons on Op Rods
I just sent them 6 op rods to rebuild

http://www.columbusmachine.com/oprod.htm

Buying a Op Rod of the internet is a crap shoot. The tab and piston needs to be checked/measured with a Mic to make sure it is in spec. Most guys dont know how to do this or have the tools or information . You run the risk of buying a out of spec rod

USGI 7.62x51 Garands use the same length Op Rods, all parts are exactly the same in the 7.62 Garand and 30.06 Garands except for the chamber
Old March 1, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
bdoyle

The op rod can drag on the stock, the bolt will drag on the trigger group. The op rod has two bends and three straight sections. Google "Springfield Armory, drawing no.D6535382" for more info.
I was able to straighten mine once I realized the actual configuration. I clamped the op rod to a straight edge and used caliper to measure. With a little help from a press I was able to slowly bring the rod back to spec. Spent about two hours checking and tweaking small amounts. Much more checking than tweaking. The op rod is basically parallel to the action and parallel to the gas cylinder.