The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 11, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Tigerclaw78

Mosin Nagant question

Hey guys, so I just purchased my first milsurp rifle. Its a Mosin Nagant made at Tula in 1942. I'm so looking forward to shooting this gun but i want to make sure its safe first. So while i was giving it a good cleaning i noticed that the rim around the chamber is only half. I'm not sure if its broken off or if this is normal of mosins? thanks for any advice you guys can offer
Old August 11, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
MikeG

There were many changes in machining during World War Two to speed production. Among these was cutting the lug race. Check receiver #5.01 and later on the page here to see if that's what you have:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinReceiver.htm
Old August 11, 2011, 07:47 PM   #3
American Eagle

I was lucky to find one from 1934. Pre-war models were better built. I've seen some WWII Mosin Nagants and the quality of the build and finish leave a lot to be desired. The Russians were rushing to produce as many of these as they could during WWII, so as long as it fired, it was good to go even if the finish and build quality were primitive by modern standards.
Old August 11, 2011, 07:51 PM   #4
rdf.hack

@American Eagle

True, but some round receiver 91/30s shoot better, they have not been in service as long as a prewar
Old August 11, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5
American Eagle

@Reddaemonfox,

That's also true. My 1934 is not the most accurate in the world. It will only manage 4 inch groups at 100 yards (could be the ammo, I am using low end Soviet surplus bullets which are quite nasty) but probably more to the fact that it was refinished at Soviet arsenals once or twice during the war.

But I like it since it is the most historic firearm I have. God knows how many NAZI that thing killed, and how many Russian soldiers fought and died holding my rifle. So I can forgive the wear and tear and less than stellar accuracy in light of the history that rifle went through. And considering I only paid $80 for it a few years ago, I can't complain.
Old August 13, 2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Tigerclaw78

yep mike that is what i have thanks for the info. wish i could have found that when i was searching, also i spoke with a smith this morning that confirmed that it is normal.